*** Prank Alert ***

Wait till she tries it with someone with a pacemaker. Or who is epileptic. Or who has heart arrythmia.

Count how many people who will be laughing.

Well, some will be when they handcuff her and throw her sorry ass in the back of a patrol car.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Yeah, some things just aren't funny.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

I'd get a terrific laugh. First, I'd complain of shortness of breath. Chest pains. Call 911. Call the manager. Get corporate's number. Go to the hospital. Do the whole number. I'd get a terrific laugh when I deposited the check from the restaurant's insurer. In lawyer's talk, it's a "slam dunk." Something that is indefensible, and the best thing to do is pay the plaintiff what they want, get a sealed award (no one can talk about it) and let it die.

I had a 5 way coronary artery bypass four years ago, and an aortic valve replaced. For someone to do that to me unknowingly for a "laugh" is despicable.

And I would laugh my ass off all the way to the bank.

Privately, of course.

You have "floppers." People who do slip and falls in public businesses, and collect lots of money. It's easier to pay them off than defend the suit. If a "flopper" got wind of someone doing this, believe me, one would go in there and get deliberately zapped, pull the ER drama I have stated, and pick up a nice chunk of change. Thanks for alerting them.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

But would you zap someone you know, or some total stranger that you know zip about their medical history?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

See

Manufacturer says it's not be be used on People over 50 People under 10 People with poor health includes pacemaker

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

Nah. An inductive kick would do the same thing.

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

The hand shocker is $5.99

Bruce Barnett

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 01:25:47 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Ecnerwal quickly quoth:

I remember pulling a prank on a waitress once. I got slapped for it. She came over, very down and quiet, so I said "Hey, what's the matter? You look down. Did somebody pinch your tips or something?"

About two minutes later, she came over and apologized to me. We all had a good laugh.

For more fun, when a good looking waitress comes over to your table for your order, say "I'd like a waitress, over easy, with nothing on it, and a wide order of thighs." That's a slap you'll deserve. ;)

-- Jewish Zen: Be here now. Be someplace else later. Is that so complicated, already?

- Uncomplicated Website Design, here and now.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Your 1 cent tip would be more than offset by the increased tips from the rest of the customers who thought the cheapskate who couldn't take a joke ought to take a hike. Tom

Reply to
Tom Wait

Nothing doing. I have seen this type of thing in a "deck of cards" that looked like nude photos. When you slide open the case (while holding a pair of metal thumbtacks) a crude sheet metal switch closes, and battery voltage is applied to a wire wound nail. The wire forms a relay that breaks it's own connection when it energizes. A second winding of many more turns is attached to the tacks. I threw at across the room!

Ron Thompson On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast, right beside the Kennedy Space Center, USA

My hobby pages are here:
Visit the castinghobby FAQ:
The member map is here:

Ron Thompson

Very unlikely to happen. There obviously was not enough energy to damage any tissue, there was no hand to hand thru the heart current path. DC current at those levels is not lethal. AC current has to be close to the frequency of 60 hertz to cause any problems. If designed half way decently, the frequency would be in the kilohertz range where the sensation is maximum, but where there is no danger of causing fibrillation.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Oh, well, then that's different, isn't it?

Is everyone else fair game and healthy?

Do the directions go from one owner to the other when the thing is given away or lost, then found by someone else?

Do people read and pay attention to instructions any more?

Is someone who would pull a nasty trick like this capable of comprehending instructions and warnings?

Does the prankster do an interview or a medical exam with the victim before they spring it on them?

Lastly, in legal terms, a disclaimer isn't worth the paper it's written on. It won't save a company from an injury suit, and is a worthless defense.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Then there is SOME likelyhood of it happening?

There obviously was not enough energy to

What about those with bladder control problems who would wet themselves and suffer huge embarrasment in such a situation? Those who might be prompted into epileptic convulsions? Many other medical conditions that this "fun trick" wouldn't be advisable.

DC current at those levels is not lethal. AC current has to be

Yes, we know that we can trust cheap Chinese technology to research these things and put out products that are consumer safe. We have decades of experience to justify this claim.

Reply to
Steve B

That's the way I remember the ones I got mail order from from Johnson Smith maybe 50 years ago.

A miniaturized Model T Ford spark coil it was.

My opinion on the OP is that if the waitress wasn't someone who also happened to be a close friend of mine, and the restaurant otherwise appeared "respectable" and wasn't a rowdy joint, I would have found the manager and told him to reprimand that idiot waitress in front of me, and "comp" my whole check immediately or I'd call the police and wait for them to come over and hear my complaint.

That sort of action by a waitress who is a stranger to me is unacceptable. It's more like the "service" a farmer brings his cows to a bull for.

As far as the worries about killing or even seriously harming humans of any age with those kind of prank "shockers"; As their intended purpose is to deliver a shock to an unsuspecting victim, I'd assume that if they really were dangerous, their sale to the public would have been made illegal by now.

Jeff

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE) "What do you expect from a pig but a grunt?"

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

The only way I can envision it happening is if someone is on the verge of heart failure and the excitement tips them over the edge. The person would have to have abstained from sex as I expect sex is a lot more exciting.

I was commenting on the possibility of someone dropping dead. A ground fault breaker limits the fault current to 5 ma. which is considered a safe limit for 60 hz. This battery powered device is obviously putting out way less than that and would be safe even at 60 hz. But it is probably at a higher frequency, just because it is cheaper to make such a thing if it operates at a higher frequency.

I did not hear anyone saying that this was made in China. The similar things I saw when I was a kid were all made in the USA. But if it were made in China, I think we could count on the Chinese to design it to be less expensive using higher frequency.

Reply to
dcaster

Then, basically, you're saying it is okay to shock the shit out of someone with an unknown medical history just for the fun of it.

I get it.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Reply to
William Noble

Actualllly, if this happened to me in a place of business, I'd sue the place and likely win in court. The legal consuence associated with a dumb joke this is enormous.

Harry C.

Ecnerwal wrote:

Reply to
hhc314

I'd be flat on my back, do the ambulance/ER thing, and take it for a very profitable ride myself if the employee of some establishment pulled a bonehead prank like that on me, too.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

People vary a lot. If you pick the right person for this kind of joke, they find it funny. If you pick the wrong person, they don't. There's quite a lot of skill in choosing appropriate victims for practical jokes.

Incidentally, it reminded me of a prank I wish I had pulled. While at university I had a first floor room which overlooked a busy street. One night after a few drinks I went down into the street with a couple of friends and glued a coin to the floor with some cyanoacrylate glue. I nearly split myself with laughter watching people trying to get the coin off the floor. Eventually someone did get it off, though I didn't see how.

Anyway, what I thought would have been really smart would have been to drill through one of the slabs, solder a coin to the top of a bolt, bolt it to the slab and electrify it. Someone tries to pick it up, and they get a shock. That would have made a good spectator sport!

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy