Problems with air conditioner

Who made you a potty mouthed moron in charge? You don't control any group, but it is hilarious to watch you try! :-) Thanks for the laughs as usual, Mulligan.

Reply to
Owen Hague

You asked about testing the capacitor with a VOM, you generally would want to test a capacitor with an analog type meter, in the ohms setting. Starting with a cap where you shorted the terminals, connect the ohm meter across the 2 terminals of the cap, the ohm meter will be measureing infinite ohms just before you connect. Initially a good cap will look like a short, so the meter will move toward zero ohms, but as the ohm meter charges the cap, the resistance will return back to infinite ohms. A bad cap will either be open or short or low leakage resistance. The problem with a digital meter is the sample rate, and being able to see the initial short condition and then charging back to infinite. Some didital meters have a analog trend scale that's just for this purpose.

Reply to
stevek

Nope... I just made the mistake of getting married.........twice

Reply to
Noon-Air

GO f*ck yourself.

Reply to
.p.jm

Friggin wasps anyway, I've been stung three times by them this year. Took the panel off of a package Coleman on the roof, biggest damn nest I've ever seen, about the size of a softball. Damn wasps go everywhere and one gets me right in the eye. Ever see what happens to a nest of the bastards when a deminimus release happens?

Reply to
Al Moran

Maybe he can sell you a personality?

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence, and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years . It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints, and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,

Reply to
Gunner

GooDman units ain't worth Goo.

Reply to
HeatMan

While that's possibly true (they use GE caps, eh?) it doesn't really change my advice very much.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Quality of components is one aspect of a quality unit. Another is a quality of design. Still another is quality of assembly.

Goodman has to cut corners EVERYWHERE as they lead the industry in supplying low cost units.

OTOH, I think that they own the Amana AC brand, so to keep that brand's reputation, they MUST be using higher quality components on those units.

Reply to
Robert Gammon

You don't thump the side of the unit to see if theres anybody home?? I buy wasp killer by the case.

Reply to
Noon-Air

Yeah, me too.

At least no kids (except the cats-- and I got full custody).

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

We finnally got some rain last week, and now the friggin' Mud-daubers are active. There are mud nests all over everything! I finally blew my top when I found a big one on my smoker. (they can mess with a lot of things, but don't mess with my smoked ribs!)

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Well.......hell......

Looks like Paul got ya here, since Goodman uses a dual cap, meaning, only one in the unit. On both a heat pump and a straight split, it sits right in the same place, over on teh left side of the access panel, with one 5/16s screw holding a band around it to keep it in place. The cap isnt a start cap for the fan motor, but you knew that, altho a few in here didnt.

Now, for clarification since its obvious that a few wanted to jump in with both feet and cant seem to comprehend the entire thread...

Stormin Moron made a comment, replace both. What he MEANS is replace both the fan motor AND the cap. What he was THINKING was that the unit had a sep

5-370 for the fan motor, when it would not. Therefore, his comment about things being cheap kinda went away real fast, altho some took it the wrong way and totally ignored the fact that he wasnt talking about replacing BOTH caps, even though there is only one, but he didnt know that, but had to go on and speak about it anyway.

OR

He really DID mean to replace both caps. He did state that compressor caps can go bad too, (gee f****ng willikers buckwheat!! REally??) In THAT case, he means to replace both caps. Gee..since there is only one in the unit, and its a dual cap, logic dictates that you would be doing that anyway. Unless, of course, you were going to run a jumper from the C terminal over to a new single cap and then simply transfer over the leads from the FAN term to the new cap, but why would you do that, when thats not a true repair, but a trashy looking bandaide?

Either way, the bashing going on from both sides in this case looks silly. Everyone with half a brain can see that Stormy Moron is nothing but a wannabe that thinks hes got a clue. Prob got good intentions, but the road to hell is paved with them.

Reply to
aka-SBM

Apollo owns Goodman, Goodman owns GmC, QuietFlex, Amana, and Janitrol names.

Reply to
aka-SBM

LOL! Keep the laughs coming, kid.

Reply to
Owen Hague

He has so few skills that define him as an HVAC "expert" - other than a union card, of course - that he cannot afford to show anybody else how to do things.

He's just afraid that if someone learns how to check out a capacitor with a multi-meter, they'll be able to replace him when his idiotic union orders him to go out on strike to support Groundhog Day as a national holiday with double pay.....

Reply to
*

Blow me.

Reply to
.p.jm

It's always a hoot when the trailer gnome weighs in. No credible background in repair but he's always available for comic relief.

Reply to
Don

Blow me, you f****ng asshole.

Reply to