Project management and costing

Is there any good (cheap) software accounting programs designed for a one man show with input for cash expenditures?

I currently use Quickbooks Pro 97, but its clumsy, is weighted for checking accounts or plastic, of which I seldom use the checking account and own no plastic. Its very hard to enter expenses, gas and so forth.

Something capable of faxing invoices as part of the program would be nice too.

Gunner

Gunner

I too am looking for a reasonably priced accounting program for my gunsmithing business. I use checks and plastic for most expenditures. I tried Quickbooks once a long time ago and didn't like it. Tom

Reply to
Tom Wait

Hi Gunner,

This should be required reading for anyone still using Quickbooks:

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:rRDu7waxgEoJ:

and

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:GRnxJrxeNmYJ:

There was a few other gripes too, but these should be sufficient to get the idea. Scan the comments on these pages. There are several recommendations made for other software that might be worth checking out. Peachtree is commonly mentioned if I recall correctly.

I haven't used any of them, just read about people complaints...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

A long time ago when I ran a tiny business I used gnucash. Its Linux (UNIX) only however.

It was a bit clumsy but probably more because I wasn't really used to running a business.

Reply to
marc.britten

I use Quickbooks version 6, which dates back to 1998, and have always been happy with it. I have not heard good things about more recent releases. Here's a copy of V6 on ebay...

It does run fine on NT, win2000, and XP. One thing that would concern me about a NOS copy of V6 is whether Intuit will issue a registration code for such an old product. Another worry is whether it'll get stuffed by some future Windows release.

Oh, I do have one complaint, and that is that the IRS revised form 941 (quarterly reporting) not too long ago, so the printed form that my Quickbooks generates is no longer acceptable.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Their site says: "GnuCash is personal and small-business financial-accounting software, freely licensed under the GNU GPL and available for GNU/Linux, *BSD, Solaris and Mac OSX."

From the FreeBSD port info:

  • Ability to import Quicken files ( a must )
  • Reports, Graphs, and all of those goodies that you find in Quicken.
  • Gnome compliant ( if that is the correct way to put it )
  • Separate the GUI from the actual "account/transaction engine"
  • Multiple accounts ( Check, Credit, Cash, Mutual Funds, etc.. )

Steve Ackman