Pulling rails from the ground

On 08/22/2014 9:53 AM, Ed Huntress wrote: ...

Rail, if it's at all clean could probably be one of those things ig could chop up into 6" or shorter chunks and sell for the big bucks on eBay as the shop/bench anvil, etc., ...

Reply to
dpb

At least that was my supposition of the intent as given the described locale and bother hardly seems worth the effort for just scrap prices.

Reply to
dpb

Ignoramus7070 on Fri, 22 Aug 2014

11:04:54 -0500 typed >> >>> Probably easier to pull the spikes out of the plates, then cut the

As opposed to rigging a rail lifter? I don't know, it is your job. Would depend to me on if I had bid on this, was ah, er, ah "salvaging abandoned rails" or was clearing them off my property.

I am still of the opinion that pulling the spikes might be "easiest". OTOH, if you start lifting a rail, you might find out how many of the spikes are solidly set. OT3H, "How long will it take you to get those rails up?" (IOW - I'm not there, not my circus, not my monkeys. B-) "Sounds like you guys got an interesting day ahead of you.")

tschus pyotr

pyotr filipivich

Well, you know how it is, a penny here, a penny there, it adds up. B-) If time is money, then it is an issue. Especially if one has to pay for that time (wages/rental).

pyotr filipivich

You're just an angry chimp, trying to imitate a human.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Do you remember the famous, 'Orange Blossom Special'?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

If the tie starts to raise, whack it with a 20 lb sledge hammer. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Only the Charlie Daniels version. One hot fiddler, wot?

Larry Jaques

I was talking about the train it was written about.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

----------------- Can cut 6 to 9 inch pieces ready to sell on ebay for craft anvils. May also be quicker. IIRC you said you had hydraulic power available from your back hoe. I would cost this out (rental) before I assume that the torch is cheaper. cut-off wheels are cheap.

F. George McDuffee

Jim Wilkins

BTW, here is the tool they use to dig out railroad spikes:

--

(I'm sure asking any RR worker can help you in the right direction)

Reply to
walter_evening

George, it may work. Metal bars bring $1/lb, give or take, and I expect rails to be the same.

However, I am so upset by the latest changes of ebay that I have decided to reduce the amount of business I do on ebay. I can always do something else instead of listing stuff on ebay, for example I can relax more or seek more scrap business.

Yes, selling on ebay is profitable, but so are a lot of other things I can do.

Ignoramus4035

The way to make it worth the effort is to avoid wasting time and avoid renting anything expensive.

Ignoramus4035

I doubt that is what some are declaring it to be. For one, the hammer head is way too close to the handle - can't reach over the rail to drive spikes on the other side.

Two tools - one is the spike hammer. Which is not what he needs. The other is a 'crowbar' with a claw at one end to pry the spikes out. At four to five feet long, can also be used to move the rail. A tad. That is what he 'needs'.

pyotr filipivich

Magilla Gorilla was smarter, and funnier. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Gunner Asch fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Bingo... big trunks, big root balls.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Aha! I finally have a pick date: September and October in the North.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I have to make some to lift a submersible pump that quit. I can't afford to $170+ shipping, each

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

This particular tree has some fully orange, and some fully green, with some turning orange from green. Methinks it's a slice and dice tree. Green D'anjou, Bosc, and maybe Bartlett.

Reply to
Larry Jaques