Qeustion regarding LP gas tank

My son can't get a newly filled LP tank to get the gas to flow. It's filled, but can't get anything out of it even without the regulator in place.

What gives?

Is there a safety ball blocking the output?

Reply to
Wayne Lundberg

E. Walter Le Roy

Got an answer from another source. Seems that the new hoses for RVs have a kind of check valve. Have to connect the hose to the tank before it releases gas. It's working fine now.

Reply to
Wayne Lundberg

It's a new safety device to prevent idiots from opening the valve with no regulator on it. Or arsonists.

Does your son do these things often?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Don't have a clue. Seems as though he was just checking things out without having the complete hook up and was puzzled that no gas came out when opening the valve. That was the norm for many, many years as we traveled with an RV all over the country. Seems like idiot-proofing may be causing more problems than not having idiot-proofing. Pokka Yoke has gone ballistic in my opinion. But what with today's educational system....

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Lundberg

You know, it's amazing how us old farts ever got that way. I have done scores of things that were absolutely dumb as a piece of tree bark, and that make your son's actions look like that of a brain surgeon. And we lived through it. Guess it just wasn't our time to get called on it.

But, I do agree, some of the idiot proofing has made it difficult for us mere fools. Now, they have signs on toasters when you buy them that say not to be used while showering. Stuff like that.

How else are you supposed to soften that bar of soap?

Sheesh.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Gee, guess cracking the valve to blow any debris out isn't an option.

Wes S

Reply to
clutch

You need to talk to someone who deals with propane and propane accessories. If you have a Megalo Mart in your area you can find help there. Dixon

Reply to
Dixon

Been that way around here for twelve years or more, the valves with the external RH thread connector are designed to stop flow if there is no pressure in the exit side. This can be defeated by hooking up the older internal LH threaded fitting - they are backward compatible. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

That's why they provide those nice plastic covers that nobody bothers to use. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller