Question for you gunsmith types

If the gun was originally made in 22 Mag. then you could probably fit a new cylinder safely. If not, I say forget it. H & R would likely have offered it in 22 mag if it was feasible because it would have increased sales. Top-break pistols are not the strongest and absent a factory version, I would not try it. It is simply not worth the risk. If you want to experiment, make a new cylinder in .17 HM2 and reline the barrel to .17 caliber. The cartridge is basically a .22 LR case necked down to .17 caliber and loaded with an ballistically efficient, jacketed expanding bullet. It makes a 150-200 yd varmint cartridge in a rifle plus accuracy is greatly improved over the standard 22 RF. Of course in a pistol, performance is reduced ,but it is still substantially better than the standard 22 RF.

Randy

Reply to
R. O'Brian

Thanks Randy. I have heard a little about .17 caliber. Maybe now's the time to learn more. Eric

Reply to
Eric R Snow
[snip]

While I agree 100% WRT the H&R revolvers, the British Webley range of top break revolvers are very strong designs, originally chambered for rounds in the Colt 45 ACP range of power (.455 Webley & Scott).

I too think the wall thickness in a 9 shot cylinder too marginal for a

22 Mag round. Making a new cylinder is possible but I think altering the revolver timing to use a cylinder with (say) 7 chambers is gonna be difficult; the cylinder is gonna have to rotate further, needing at minimum a new hand. I pick 7 chambers because it increases wall thickness while keeping the cylinder stop cutout between chambers rather than right over the thinnest point.

I once manufactured a complete 22LR revolver for my son and made the 8 shot cylinder plus all d/a lockwork for it. Fun project.

PDW

Reply to
Peter Wiley

You don't need a very strong gun to shoot 45 ACP . Most factory loads run under 20,000 PSI. In WWII, Philippino resistance fighters made single-shot pistols out of standard iron pipe and fired 45 ACP rounds in them. They would hold together long enough to kill a Jap soldier to get his weapon.

Randy

Reply to
R. O'Brian

This model doesn't "break open", the cylinder swings out to the side. Randy

Reply to
Randy Replogle

Randy, The one gun is a top break, and the other has a rod that when pulled out lets the cylinder be removed completely. So neither sounds like they would work for you. However, can you tell me how long you think the cylinder should be? And how many rounds? Maybe the 7 shot cylinder is close enough to work. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow