radio interference

OTOH... what the HELL are you doing letting your SWMBO listen to AM?

Get her a good "new age" channel on FM, and she'll get off your ass.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Pandora . Internet radio , you can set it up to play whatever YOU like . I have a Willie Nelson channel , a Led Zep channel , a Moody Blues channel ... and it learns by what you reject .

Reply to
Snag

Thanks for all the tips, everybody. I'll first move up to twisted pair shielded cable and ground the shield at the computer end. I'll test it just laying out the window. If it still gives trouble, I'll change from the office computer to the sales room computer for monitoring. Its 40 yards from the house.

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Twisted pair without the shield might work, since AM ferrite rod antennas receive the magnetic component of the RF wave. You could twist up some wire with a drill to test it before buying expensive cable.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

A whole lot of cut & paste drivel which included:

Perhaps Lou Dobbs was fired because CNN finally realized that the word "Journalist" really doesn't fit in a conversation about Lou Dobbs. Perhaps he was a journalist once upon a time, but not anymore.

How fitting it is that this should come up under the subject line "Radio Interference."

Reply to
rangerssuck

I'm coming in kinda late here, but how rapidly do you expect your greenhouse temperature to change? a "constant beep beep beep" suggests that you're taking temperature readings, well, constantly. I'd think that sampling every few minutes would be more than often enough, and your wife wouldn't notice the single "beeps" if they were sufficiently spaced.

No hardware changes required. All you have to do is awitch DTR high when you want data and low when you don't.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
rangerssuck

A whole lot of cut & paste drivel which included:

"Lou Dobbs will start his new Fox Business show on March 14, the network announced Thursday."

"The show will be titled "Lou Dobbs Tonight," and will air at 7 PM Eastern. That just happens to be the same title and time-slot that Dobbs' CNN show had."

"Dobbs left CNN in 2009 after mounting tension between him and the network over his increasingly outspoken political views. He announced that he was joining Fox Business in November of last year."

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

The 14th Amendment was adopted in 1868. Just how old is this guy, anyway? d8-)

Except that John Bingham was a congressman from Ohio, not a Justice of the Supreme Court.

Perkins vs. ELG, US 325 (1939), from the Court's opinion, citing precedents:

"Young Steinkauler is a native-born American citizen. There is no law of the United States under which his father or any other person can deprive him of his birthright. He can return to America at the age of twenty-one, and in due time, if the people elect, he can become President of the United States."

"United States v. Wong Kim Ark, supra, p. 169 U. S. 668. As municipal law determines how citizenship may be acquired, it follows that persons may have a dual nationality. [Footnote 1] And the mere fact that the plaintiff may have acquired Swedish citizenship by virtue of the operation of Swedish law on the resumption of that citizenship by her parents does not compel the conclusion that she has lost her own citizenship acquired under our law. As at birth she became a citizen of the United States, that citizenship must be deemed to continue unless she has been deprived of it through the operation of a treaty or congressional enactment or by her voluntary action in conformity with applicable legal principles.

"Second. It has long been a recognized principle in this country that, if a child born here is taken during minority to the country of his parents' origin, where his parents resume their former allegiance, he does not thereby lose his citizenship in the United States provided that, on attaining majority he elects to retain that citizenship and to return to the United States to assume its duties. [Footnote 2] "

The writer is a sophist and a phony -- just your kind of guy, Gunner.

You've really got to start being skeptical of these wingers who try to overwhelm you with citations. If they run more than a few hundred words, it's pretty consistent that they're just trying to give you a snow job.

Here, the clown you quote from has the audacity to make misrepresentative quotes, attempting to show that the case says one thing, when its conclusion was just the opposite. The whole ELG case is a flat contradiction of the birther argument.

Better luck next time, Gunner. Or, better yet, read the damned things you're quoting from third-hand.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

There was study on racism performed in Nov, 2008. About 95% of blacks voted for a black for president over a white. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

So did I.

That's smart. What's dumb is blue-collar white men voting for a washed-up old Republican.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

=========== Old gag --

Nothing is too good for our citizens that served in the military -- so thats what we gave them...

Now about those promises of lifetime medical care... (1) your checks in the mail (2) Of course I will respect you in the morning (3) I'm from the gumment and I'm here to help you...

-- Unka George (George McDuffee) .............................. The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there. L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author. The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

O.K. First off -- I would shield the run to the computer -- at

2400 baud, the data rate should be able to handle 50 feet with no problems. Ground the shield (pin 5 on the connector shown), and connect the other two wires to the shielded twisted pair.

How far are the sensors from the board? If you are using only one sensor, and it is mounted on the board, this should be enough. (Put the board and sensor in a cage made of brass screen material soldered at the seams and connected to the gound pin.

If you are using multiple sensors, use another shielded twisted pair to each sensor -- again with the ground pin (pin 1) connected to the shield. I don't know how fast the data on pin 2 is, but that and the capacitance between the pin 2 lead and the shield would determine the maximum safe line length.

This is probably the communication between the sensors and the board. The longer the wires, the greater the amount of radiation. Find some shielded twisted pair to shield each run from the board to the sensors, and from the board to the computer. This will probably reduce the maximum line length but if you aren't using really long lines anyway, it should work.

You can use some of the cable used for Cat5 network runs between the hub/switch and the wall jacks for the ethernet -- if there is a foil shield around the twisted pair -- usually with an uninsulated drain wire making contact with the foil shield. Just make sure that this is connected to the ground pin on each connector, and you should be in pretty good shape.

Try the shielded lines first. They will probably fix most of the problems.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

564
Reply to
rangerssuck

I bought a Sanyo Internet radio last year. It is plugged into my network router, and is on whenever I'm home.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

yep, I need ten readings an hour. This unit has a chip programmed to sample constantly. The computer fires up once every six minutes and records a reading.

I played with 1wire, a DS1820, and visual basic. I was not able to make it work. Not my area of expertise. I'm going to get another chance as i need to read an anolog voltage for a leaf wetness meter too.

I should be able to install a shielded cable in a couple hours.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Gunner Asch on Sat, 16 Apr 2011 15:05:43 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Hmmm, it is starting to appear that Obama isn't ral, but could just be a sock puppet, hired to play a role.

At least the actor hired in "Double Star" was able to conclude an important treaty with the locals.

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

If, between readings, you make sure that DTR goes low, the remote unit will have no power and won't transmit anything.

Reply to
rangerssuck

Would you be willing to provide an example in visual basic? If I could get an example of how to shut it off for five minutes and then take a reading, I could take it from there. Sorry VB6 is the only language I have ANY knowledge.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I'll give you that we didn't have the best candidate, but at least he did believe that America is great country and we have helped the world. The president we have now does not believe in the individual and what we can accomplish when government gets out of the way. I believe a lot of poverty in America is caused by government programs that promote the idea that you don't need to provide for yourself. I believe that the rich provide jobs for most people, and it will hurt the economy if you take more from them. The top 1% pay 38% of all taxes and the bottom

50% pay 2% of taxes. That is messed up. In my opinion if you don't pay taxes you should not have a voice in how those taxes are spent. And I don't want to hear they pay payroll taxes, those are social security taxes are a forced retirement program. Sometimes known as a ponze scheme. I believe that if you are motivated you can provide a comfortable lifestyle and save for you future, and if the government would get out of the way it would be much easier. Our president did say he would raise energy prices and he has done that and if we let him he will raise them more. Have you noticed the rise in your electric bill sense Obama was elected? We need to reduce the public dole rather than add more, as Obama wants to do. It's time for you to grow up and take care of yourself instead of looking to the taxpayers to care for you. Mikek

PS, Karl, how's the 1 wire system problem coming along?

Reply to
amdx

Hi Michael, I'm a big talk radio listener, is there talk radio stations available? I also like science and tech programs. Mikek

Reply to
amdx