COM Serial Port signals

Can anyone point me at a good reference for the workings of the COM port on a PC? I need timing waveforms for the various handshaking signals. I want to know if there is a convenient signal I can use to block the output of an IR remote control receiver when the transmitter is sending a character. In other words I want to eliminate the unwanted 'echo'.

Bill Marshall

Reply to
Bill Marshall

Ron Ciren