COM Serial Port signals

Can anyone point me at a good reference for the workings of the COM port on a PC? I need timing waveforms for the various handshaking signals. I want to
know if there is a convenient signal I can use to block the output of an IR remote control receiver when the transmitter is sending a character. In other words I want to eliminate the unwanted 'echo'.
Bill Marshall
I suggest www.lvr.com . The book "Serial Port Complete" is my serial port Bible.
On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 22:23:31 +0100, "Bill Marshall"