Serial communication converter?

I asked this question recently but the subject may not generated any interest so I will try again. I have come across some Durant converters, 58801-403. It appears the units can convert rs-232 to rs-485 and rs-485 to rs-232. There is an option for 20ma or rs-485. Does anyone have any information on these devices? Apparently they have been out of production for quite a few years. I would be interested in sending and receiving a com 1 serial port for a gps receiver installed in the attic of my home with the antenna wire running to the remote antenna just outside the attic vent. The receiver would communicate with the computer in my cellar for accurate time keeping via gps. I assume the units can do this. Any ideas? Thank you.

Richg

Answer to group as this Email is only for spammers.

Reply to
Richard Gagnon

Richard, if you didn't receive any replies than maybe no-one has any data.. Perhaps you can provide some:

  1. If they are 232/485 converters, you need to locate (at least) the following pins/terminals:

On the RS232 side: Rx Tx Gnd On the RS485 side: TDA TDB RDA RDB or R/T+ R/T- or something similar and tell us which ones you have.

  1. You also need to give us the RS232 pin-out for your GPS receiver so we know whether it is DTE or DCE and I assume you have the communication software already installed on your PC.

When you have this info, let us know and we'll tell you where to go from there.

Good luck! Cameron:-)

Reply to
Cameron Dorrough

DURANT AMBASSADOR SERIES AND ECLIPSE SERIES SERIAL COMMUNICATIONS USER'S GUIDE

Serial Communications Manual in PDF format 133 pages :)

Reply to
mindspringnews

Reply to
mindspringnews

..or the data is so easy to get from Google that any reply is pointless.

Cameron:-)

Reply to
Cameron Dorrough

I have noticed over the years I have communicated with some people that only read a message if the subject is something they are familiar with. I do that myself at times. There is so much information out there that that becomes necessary at times.

I have all the pin data on the case of the unit. I was wondering about baud rate and maybe any other information that is not on the case. As I looked more closely at the units I noticed they have a female db9 for rs232 so the device would be connected to the computer serial connector via a serial cable. The gps device has a female connector so the rs232 connection would need a gender changer for one end of the cable. I doubt that would be the case so another rs232/485 device must be needed. I will keep looking.

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
Richard Gagnon

Thank you, that is what I am looking for.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Gagnon

The units should just pass data straight through so there should be no need to set baud rate on the units - at least up to their rated speed. If they are reasonably old I would not recomend running them faster than 9600baud - try a slower rate to start with.

You will likely need a "null modem" cable to connect one device to the GPS unit, so your setup will be something like:

PC Com1: 232/485 ---- 485/232 GPS

Basically all you are trying to acheive is to make sure the RxD pin at the PC end (Pin 2) is connected to TxD (Pin 3) at the GPS end and that TxD at the PC end is connected to RxD at the GPS.

If your devices use 2-wire RS485, simply connect these up with Rx+ to Tx+ and Rx- to Tx- and away you go.

Good luck! Cameron:-)

Reply to
Cameron Dorrough

After more research I realized these devices take 4 to 20ma or RS485 data from a device used in manufacturing and convert the data for use in a PC. Looking thru the Durant site it became obvious to me.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Gagnon