Serial Port driver to PC

Does anyone have a freeware driver or ocx to connect a microcontroller to a serial port ? the aim of the project is to disply whatever is read on the COM port on a
webpage .
Many thanks Len
Yes, if you have a look at RoboRealm at http://www.roborealm.com/ you can read in signals from the COM port using the serial module and actually display that value using the built in webserver (or you can save it to disk, send it somewhere else, etc.)
Let us know if you need any help with that.
STeven. www.roborealm.com

Do you plan for RoboRealm to remain free forever, or eventually charge for it ? Just curious ...

There are Java libraries for serial communication. Add a MAX232 and you're away. Course you have to use Java which might not suit.
____________________________________________________ "I like to be organised. A place for everything. And everything all over the place."
Hi,
mscomm32.ocx?
--

Regards
Ian Dobson
Len wrote:

I've been playing with "just basic" for reading data from a PIC micro via the serial port. I've only really used a windows interface, defined by the program but I have read on comp.lang.basic.misc about people using Liberty Basic for writing a web interface.
regards, colin
--

www.minisumo.org.uk

(Remove the "No Spam" to reply by email!)

I made a simple cgi application using freebasic for web based I/O with the lynxmotion ssc-2 servo controller (below). You could easily do the same using apache as your web server.
http://www.lynxmotion.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t 74
Si Ballenger wrote:

I did pretty much the same but with the WinIO driver from here:
http://www.internals.com /
which is pretty good at bypassing all the protected-mode stuff the later versions of Windows imposes. It also handles parallel ports.
-- Gordon
Gordon McComb wrote:

Come to think of it, I used WinIO for the parallel port stuff, and MSComm (part of the VS6 package) for the serial communications.
So...never mind!
-- Gordon
Many thanks for all the posts, Yes first of all I wanted to do a generic "cross platform" app or webpage but i think for now I will choose a OS get it up and running and then port it to the other OS'es.
many thanks again

Hi
I was at www.lvr.com the other day... VB Express (FREE) has a dedicated serial class...there are examples and links to examples.
It should be easy to find examples for your micro to interface to a serial port.
Try forums for PIC:
www.mikroe.com
www.ccsinfo.com
www.microchip.com
Web search engine.
By the way, does it have to be serial? The Microchip ENC28J60 is pretty easy to interface to Web intefface, as it only has 28 pins and I got some free samples off microchip and you use a Web browser and Cat-5 cable...
Microchip has a new kid on the block the 18F67J60, integrated Ethernet/PIC on the same silicon.
Also Fred Eady at www.edtp.com has some economic stuff. He writes in Circuit Cellar mag and what he doesn't know about embedded ethernet isn't worth knowing...
/* He has a new kit that has ethernet and serial onboard */
Microchip has a free stack and sample code - all you need to do is modify some HTML etc.
Also the RealTek ethernet chip is featured often interfacing with PICs.
www.modtronix.com, an Aussie store sells some kits and they have free examples that are excellent , the best I have seen using the RealTek chip.
Cheers
:-]
Dale
Len wrote:

If you can communicate with the microcontroller via the serial port on a pc, then you probably can run a webserver like apache to handle the web page part. I made a simple cgi application to be able to communicate with a Lynxmotion ssc-32 servo controller via apache and a web page. The below link has a quick write up on the application.
http://www.lynxmotion.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t 74