Serial Port driver to PC

Does anyone have a freeware driver or ocx to connect a microcontroller to a serial port ? the aim of the project is to disply whatever is read on the COM port on a webpage .

Many thanks Len

Reply to
Len

Yes, if you have a look at RoboRealm at

you can read in signals from the COM port using the serial module and actually display that value using the built in webserver (or you can save it to disk, send it somewhere else, etc.)

Let us know if you need any help with that.

STeven.

RoboRealm

There are Java libraries for serial communication. Add a MAX232 and you're away. Course you have to use Java which might not suit.

____________________________________________________ "I like to be organised. A place for everything. And everything all over the place."

Reply to
Tim Polmear

Hi,

mscomm32.ocx?

Reply to
ian dobson

Do you plan for RoboRealm to remain free forever, or eventually charge = for it ? Just curious ...

Reply to
Pogo

I've been playing with "just basic" for reading data from a PIC micro via the serial port. I've only really used a windows interface, defined by the program but I have read on comp.lang.basic.misc about people using Liberty Basic for writing a web interface.

regards, colin

Reply to
Colin Durrans

I made a simple cgi application using freebasic for web based I/O with the lynxmotion ssc-2 servo controller (below). You could easily do the same using apache as your web server.

Si Ballenger

I did pretty much the same but with the WinIO driver from here:

which is pretty good at bypassing all the protected-mode stuff the later versions of Windows imposes. It also handles parallel ports.

-- Gordon

Reply to
Gordon McComb

Come to think of it, I used WinIO for the parallel port stuff, and MSComm (part of the VS6 package) for the serial communications.

So...never mind!

-- Gordon

Reply to
Gordon McComb

Many thanks for all the posts, Yes first of all I wanted to do a generic "cross platform" app or webpage but i think for now I will choose a OS get it up and running and then port it to the other OS'es.

many thanks again

Reply to
Len

Hi

I was at

the other day... VB Express (FREE) has a dedicated serial class...there are examples and links to examples.

It should be easy to find examples for your micro to interface to a serial port.

Try forums for PIC:

Web search engine.

By the way, does it have to be serial? The Microchip ENC28J60 is pretty easy to interface to Web intefface, as it only has 28 pins and I got some free samples off microchip and you use a Web browser and Cat-5 cable...

Microchip has a new kid on the block the 18F67J60, integrated Ethernet/PIC on the same silicon.

Also Fred Eady at

has some economic stuff. He writes in Circuit Cellar mag and what he doesn't know about embedded ethernet isn't worth knowing...

/* He has a new kit that has ethernet and serial onboard */

Microchip has a free stack and sample code - all you need to do is modify some HTML etc.

Also the RealTek ethernet chip is featured often interfacing with PICs.

an Aussie store sells some kits and they have free examples that are excellent , the best I have seen using the RealTek chip.

Cheers

:-]

Dale

Len wrote:

Reply to
Dale T Stewart

If you can communicate with the microcontroller via the serial port on a pc, then you probably can run a webserver like apache to handle the web page part. I made a simple cgi application to be able to communicate with a Lynxmotion ssc-32 servo controller via apache and a web page. The below link has a quick write up on the application.

Si Ballenger