Radius end mill tips (by hand)

I have a project where I need to cut a 0.188" radius fillet for about

16" in aluminum. Unfortunately, the cut is at the bottom of a 4.5" deep channel. I haven't been able to find a cheap (
Reply to
DC

You might silver-solder an extension on a short ball-end mill. I've done such many times with mills and drills. I use a length of angle iron with a section cut away to access the joint in the tool/extension. Just clamp the parts in the angle after grinding the ends to be joined to a point. Then grind away the surplus.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

DC If you have the room for a 3/4" end mill, then you have room for a

3/4" extension holding a 3/8" diameter ball end mill.

Or am I missing something? DJ

Reply to
Mechanical Magic

Rough the radius with the grinder and finish it with a stone. A radius gage would help for comparison or a paper template.

Fred

Reply to
ff

Could I get

Sure, I've done just that. Use a radius gauge, go slow, be sure you have relief. You won't take much off for .188 radius.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I would drill a 3/16" hole in thin aluminum and cut it out to make a template, then try to fit both flutes to it. I've hand-ground a smaller less precise radius on both flutes when the end mill started to dull, to keep it cutting, and couldn't see a difference.

You could drill a larger hole in a piece of stock an inch or two long, slice it in half lengthwise, line it with fine SiC sandpaper and hone the edge to shape.

If you cut too far you can shorten the end of the flutes to save the job.

Jim Wilkins

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

endmills with corner radius are now popular and common

and yes, You could very easily fake one by hand.

Reply to
Jon