Trailer tongue tool boxes

If you install a box like that, would you have enough clearance for turns?
I wanted to do that also, btu realized that it would limit my ability to make sharp turns.
Reply to
Ignoramus26128
Are boxes designed for tongues where there's only a triangle, and not enough
room to put a rectangular box?
Anyone make custom sizes?
Steve
Reply to
SteveB
Like these:
Pete C.
See the picture link I just posted. Tongue plenty long.
Steve
Reply to
SteveB
The distance between the centerline of the coupler and front of the box needs to be 1/2 the width of the vehicle (plus a safety factor of a few inches). Usually not enough room on a utility trailer, car haulers often have enough if you move the car back a few inches. Since the box tends to collect all sorts of heavy things, the CG works out ok. Another trick is to put a vertical tire rack on the tongue that is even closer than the math above. You can't do 90 degree turns but 60 to 70 degrees is fairly easy.
All this supposes that you have a receiver hitch where the hitch ball sticks out behind the bumper. My old Explorer had a hitch plate in a recess in the bumper. Only took one trip to be educated about the wide turns you had to make before I put on a receiver.
Ignoramus26128 wrote:
Reply to
RoyJ
I'll be you are one of those folks who leaves a monster extension in all the time and parks in shopping center parking lots. I take mine out for that reason. (and to keep the urchins from swiping it!)
SteveB wrote:
Reply to
RoyJ
Yep. Now to find one that will fit.
Steve
Reply to
SteveB
"RoyJ" wrote
Receiver under the rear, and a 13" extension puts it out there where it catches just about every knee that comes within range.
Steve
Reply to
SteveB
That's what locks are for. Nah. I'm not that inconsiderate, and besides, I'm the one that usually runs into it. Locks or no, I take it off when I'm not using it so I DON'T run into it.
Steve
Reply to
SteveB