Trailer tongue tool boxes

If you install a box like that, would you have enough clearance for turns?

I wanted to do that also, btu realized that it would limit my ability to make sharp turns.

Reply to
Ignoramus26128

Are boxes designed for tongues where there's only a triangle, and not enough room to put a rectangular box?

Anyone make custom sizes?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Like these:

Pete C.

See the picture link I just posted. Tongue plenty long.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

The distance between the centerline of the coupler and front of the box needs to be 1/2 the width of the vehicle (plus a safety factor of a few inches). Usually not enough room on a utility trailer, car haulers often have enough if you move the car back a few inches. Since the box tends to collect all sorts of heavy things, the CG works out ok. Another trick is to put a vertical tire rack on the tongue that is even closer than the math above. You can't do 90 degree turns but 60 to 70 degrees is fairly easy.

All this supposes that you have a receiver hitch where the hitch ball sticks out beh> >> Are boxes designed for tongues where there's only a triangle, and not enough

Reply to
RoyJ

Reply to
RoyJ

Yep. Now to find one that will fit.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

"RoyJ" wrote

Receiver under the rear, and a 13" extension puts it out there where it catches just about every knee that comes within range.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

That's what locks are for. Nah. I'm not that inconsiderate, and besides, I'm the one that usually runs into it. Locks or no, I take it off when I'm not using it so I DON'T run into it.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB