Rare earth magnet question?

I'm thinking about selling a product that has a small rare earth magnet attached to it. It's a ring magnet, 1/2" OD, 1/4" ID. How detailed of a
warning label would I need to go with regarding stored data, internal medical devices, transporting on an airplane?
--
Rick Maston
RM Specialties

If you think you need any warning, see a lawyer, pay, and sue them when you get sued. **************************************************** I went on a guided tour not long ago.The guide got us lost. He was a non-compass mentor.........sorry ........no I'm not.

Remember to sue people who advise you to get lawyers, makers of every type of legal paper, makers of the magnet, makers of the warning labels, ...
Rick Maston wrote:

FWIW, when I bought a few small rare earth magnets to play with diamagnetic levitation, from this place:
http://www.wondermagnet.com/main.shtml
They arrived via PS, in a little carton about 3"x3"x3" lined with two U-shaped pieces of bent sheet steel (about 20 gauge IIRC). The two pieces formed a cube shaped shield, sort of like clasping your two hands together.
Jeff
BTW, the levitation stuff was fun to play around with, and it really woiks!
It's makes a great desk toy:
http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/jeff/diamag.html
--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Open an old hard drive, you will find a set in them. I use them for some jigs in my shop. I must have about 30 of them. A few HDs just use one but most 2.
On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 17:47:31 -0700, the renowned "Rick Maston"

The requirements for transporting magnetic items by US mail are spelled out thusly:
Magnets are included in USPS Pub 52, Hazardous, Restricted and Perishable Mail.
http://www.usps.com/cpim/ftp/pubs/pub52.pdf
See: USPS Packaging Instruction 9B (page 328)
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
This is not advice, so don't sue me. But, I have never seen a magnet with any kind of warning label. This includes refrigerator magnets, retrieval magnets, welding jig magnets, worklamp bases, etc.
I suggest you take this information to your lawyer, if you like to pay lawyers' fees. <G>
Any hard drive has them, they are shielded but they are in there.
I bought 20 RE magnets from a big specialty hardware store whose name eescapes me. They sent them in paper envelopes, in a carboard box, no special shielding. Powerful little things, they are!
On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 14:41:45 GMT, Spehro Pefhany
||On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 17:47:31 -0700, the renowned "Rick Maston"
Rex in Fort Worth
On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 18:28:38 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEtxol.net (Rex B) vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!: remove ns from my header address to reply via email

I bought four of them, about 20mm Dia abd 20mm long. I showed two to my father and said "Watch your fingers!" Sure enough...Clack! Gave him a ripper blood blister.
**************************************************** I went on a guided tour not long ago.The guide got us lost. He was a non-compass mentor.........sorry ........no I'm not.
Trust a [fellow] Canadian to point out USPS regulations :-)
Tom

How do you like this warning....
***WARNING*** This is an EXTREMELY Powerful Magnet! The end user MUST USE SAFETY PRECAUTIONS when unpacking and using this magnet. Remove all metal objects within a 5 foot radius before unpacking. Magnets of this size and strength can pull metals objects to them when brought too close. Two magnets of this size will fly together with great force and can break bones. Wear safety glasses. Use heavy gloves.
"Kevin Beitz" wrote: How do you like this warning.... ***WARNING*** (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^ I would add: "Not to be used for lifting."
On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 04:49:19 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"

And the ever popular "not for internal use"
Wayne

Rick, a friend of mine here in Colorado invented and is currently marketing a flashlight that uses vicious rare earth annular magnets in it: http://www.nightstar1.com /
You may find some good ideas on labeling and warning and such at their web sites for these devices. I know they've crossed every T and dotted every I in the development and successful marketing of this product (they're selling like a thousand flashlights per month nowadays), so I would expect that the labeling they've come up with (for larger magnets than what you suggest, by the way) is well-evolved in this regard-- Charley Hale Lafayette CO