Reciprocating lathe

Guys, I am about to build a reciprocating wood lathe for cutting out multiple bowls from a half log section. The bowls will be up to 24" od.

The reason for the reciprocating action is that I remembered the old bodgers in the 17th century made multiple bowls by using a curved tool with a hook on the end. These were made on a pole lathe, with a recip action. What is important about that is that when the shaving was cut, it went thru the hook and gravity helped it out of the kerf. If a shaving stuck, it only lodged ontop of the tool shank for a couple of revolutions maximum, then when the pole pulled the spindle backward, the shaving impacted the bottom of the tool shank, resulting in expulsion from the kerf. In essence, it was a self-cleaning system.

In our modern systems, the tool is a scraper, so the shavings pile up on top of the tool shank. Once you get more than a small handful of shavings packed in there, you cannot advance the tool, or withdraw it. So you turn off the lathe, rotate the wood backwards enough to withdraw the tool a ways, then turn on the lathe and run the tool backwards and forwards several times to clear the shavings. Then you cut some more.

A reciprocating lathe (powered by an electric motor, not my right leg) would function the same way, and would be very interesting to watch in addition!!

The method of inducing the reciprocating motion I have come up with is a sun/planet gearbox, something like the old Ford Model T transmission. I am sure such devices are used in quite a few applications, but I just don't know of any. Can you guys put me onto a source? I really don't want to build one unless there is no other choice.

Thanks in advance, James Johnson

Reply to
JRJohnson

You just need any old reduction system, gearbox or a set of sheaves to get the speed you want and a nice plate on the end of the reduction with an eccenctric pin to make the back and forth motion on the lathe will do fine - sort of like a steam engine being driven by the flywheel. While the treadle lathe in any of it's various forms is nice, they really weren't that good for turning except to show for what the oldtimers back then really had to put up with. FWIW, the Woodwright Shop (PBS) does have a tape on doing a treadle lathe and springpole lathes have also been shown in other episodes.

Bob May

Reply to
John D. Farr

Bob, I think it is a little more complicated than that. The system you are describing would not impart 3 revolutions forward, and then 3 backward. Rather, the spindle would simply oscillate back and forth. If I had a cutter on each side of the blank, that might work. But with only one cutter, and the wood not making a full revolution, it really wouldn't work.

Incidentally, I have not changed my plans. I will use a hydraulic pump and a hydraulic motor, with the control valve actuated by a DC gearmotor. The DC will give me a variable (within limits) speed, plus by changing the parameters of the mechanical linkage to the control valve, I can fine tune the amount of revs it makes before reversing.

I like the Woodwright Shop, but as I have built 3 very heavy duty lathes in the past (plus several lighter duty lathes), I will not try to re-invent the pole lathe. But I do want to see if the recip action will actually work as well as I imagine.

Thanks for the reply. James Johnson Founding member of the American Association of Woodturners.

Reply to
JRJohnson

I guess I'm not understanding the problem. Why couldn't an added compressed air nozzle keep the shavings from building up?

JRJohns> [...]

Reply to
Dave

Would some sort of washing machine motor transmission assembly work? There might be one doing the actions you're seeking. Karl

Reply to
Karl Vorwerk