refurb cross-slide dovetails?

I've got an antique Ames lathe - very well used - and the dovetails are well worn in the middle and unworn at the ends. I've done a little scraping at the most obvious high points which helps. Is there a standard way to proceed from here? Obviously I don't want to change the angles or destroy the parallelism. I could lap the surface, but what sort of tool would hold the angle properly?

Any clues appreciated! The machine is at least 50 years old but when everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) is tightened down very very well, I can turn almost anything with a good result.

geoff

Reply to
gwes

There is s scraping group on Yahoo that may be able to point you the right way, very low bandwidth.

The bible on scraping is Machine Tool Reconditioning and Applications of Hand Scraping by Edward F. Connelly

It is an expensive book so I would check your library and ask if they can get it for you on intralibrary loan.

Wes

Reply to
Wes