Plans for spin indexer?

Is it really worth making one when they come out of China for a couple of grains of rice? If you are worried about finish re-work an imported one.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

As Andrew mentioned I bought one for about £30 + tax in the UK on sale at J&L and it has been fine. I tightened up some screws and most importantly milled the sides of the base parallel to the spindle axis as they were unmachined, that allows me to drop a bar into the Bridgeport T-slot and place the spin indexer against it for a quick reference before clamping down. For what they cost I wouldn't consider making one.

Reply to
David Billington

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 16:36:27 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, Al Porter quickly quoth:

Sounds interesting. Dropbox 'er, won't you, Al?

- Metaphors Be With You -

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Would anyone by any chance have a set of plans for a home-built spin indexer?

Thanks,

Al

Reply to
Al Porter

I bet there are six articles with various flavors of indexing over the years in Home Shop Machinist. I realize you probably don't have all the issues of that magazine back to 1982 when they started, but there sure are a lot of plans that have been presented there in the last 25 years.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

The November - December issue of Model Engine Builder has plans for an indexer but that isn't free.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Thanks, everyone, for your replies.

I'll keep my eyes open for back-issues of those magazines :)

Cheers,

Al

Reply to
Al Porter

Good luck - people are pretty tight with those backissues. Estate sales are a good bet, if that tells you anything ;)

Reply to
Rex