Rockwell 6" bench grinder - anti-rotation pins

Because most modern grinders omit the anti-rotation feature.
I wonder if Baldor grinders have anti-rotation or not.

I think I did mention that it's 1/3 HP. Maybe they had bigger ponys back then.
Anyway, we have a conculsion: The anti-rotation feature will be retained, or improved. The alternatives are the through-pin and the woodruff key.
Joe Gwinn

I have 3 good bench grinders (or 5 maybe).. and I now feel a sudden urge to drill holes in the outboard ends of the arbors, for installing safety (cotter) pins in them to eliminate the possiblility of having the wheels spinning the nuts off and running across the floor.
The idea's probably already been patented, so probably not much potential for it being a rewarding feature.
--
WB

"Joseph Gwinn" < snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net> wrote in message
On 3/9/2012 9:54 PM, Wild_Bill wrote:

It might be personally rewarding in a non-remunerative way for you not to have those wheels go flying across the shop floor.

The problem is rather the inverse, grinding drag causing the nuts to become overly tight, in the extreme breaking the wheel (not that I've ever heard of this happening on a bench grinder).
The nut won't unscrew all the way because once the wheel can spin freely, it is no longer able to turn the nut.

I plan to use a shopmade "feather key" (made from 1/8" square keystock) on the inboard sides, nearest to the motor), with the top of the key narrowed to fit the 0.115" keyways in the flange washers.
I was going to use a woodruff key, but they are weaker than square keys, and milling the lengthwise groove is easier than making the recess for a woodruff key, especially because one needs to go right up to the shoulder upon which the flange washer rests.
Joe Gwinn