Roman dodecahedron

Can anyone figure out what was it used for?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_dodecahedron -- Boris

It's not out of the realm of possibility that it was strictly decorative.
The Romans were well-versed in geometry, and may have simply delighted in the fact that 12 pentagons could be assembled into a roughly spherical shape.
LLoyd

Perhaps there were 12 sizes of roman coins and the holes were for sizing the coins.
Dave

Much of Hero of Alexandria's book shows elaborate toys meant to extract money from the rich, an ancient Sharper Image catalog.
One is a trick cup that turns water into wine.
jsw

I would suggest: the Roman equivalent of a "Turner's Cube" :-)
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=%22turner 's+cube%22
In slightly more modern times, plumbing apprentices once demonstrated making a 6-way junction by (mostly) hammer, starting from sheet lead. I've seen the result and they are very impressive. One even went as far as to put flanges with bolt holes on.
On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 12:59:36 -0400, Boris Mohar

First thing to cross my mind is a studded cage for making a ball with rope or leather/hide. Except the stone ones...? Tent pole intersections?
SW

Perhaps it was a calendar, like modern ones, and the leather or wood month / day panels that snap into the holes have rotted. The ball- ended feet would protect the one on the bottom. I couldn't tell if the faces have "Hodie" index pointers.
The holes are different sizes to guide illiterate barbarian assembler slaves who can't tell the month of Julius from that of Augustus.
jsw

Doorstop and floor ballast.
Probably the metal ones were lost-wax cast. Would be fun trying to figure out a way to sand cast it.
Stan

Doorstop and floor ballast.
Probably the metal ones were lost-wax cast. Would be fun trying to figure out a way to sand cast it. =======================================I wonder what the current value is for one of those objects... million$?
--
EA

Stan

Boris Mohar wrote:

It's a Roman Magic 8-ball. ;-)
All the holes being different sizes suggests some significance there, albeit I can't imagine what.
Cheers! Rich

A penis measuring device?
--
EA

> Cheers!
Existential Angst wrote:

It's the cosmic viewer from Sarah Palin's porch. She did a trade with Christine O'Donell for her cauldron.
--
John R. Carroll

"John R. Carroll" wrote:

Sarah is more man than you'll ever be, and more woman than you'll ever hold.

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Maybe...
But to me she represents everything that's wrong with politicians these days.
Pass...
--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb

Jesus, she's both? Where did she get THAT operation? Cambodia?
--
Ed Huntress

On Wed, 8 Jun 2011 14:21:34 -0400, "Ed Huntress"

Rich Grise used to sign some of his posts as "Rich Grise, But Drunk." He doesn't bother with the "But Drunk" part anymore but I think he is anyway. ERS
snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com wrote:

You need to use more care in your attribution. I was the one who said, "It's a Roman Magic 8-ball. ;-) "All the holes being different sizes suggests some significance there, albeit I can't imagine what."
Then you and the other trolls and their baiters started chiming in.
Hope This Helps! Rich
Rich Grise wrote:

If the holes weren't different sizes you could not differentiate its orientation. Maybe it is some sort of sun dial, or a calendar?
Bill

Why are you so sure it is *not* used for measuring penis size, thusly determining the attendant social hierarchy? Might I add, I would have needed a much larger dodecahedron......
Coulda been part of the brothel system, as a kind of screening device, you know, wear'n'tear'n'shit.....
Fwiw, I much prefer "But Drunk" over that irksomely dorky "Hope This Helps!"..... goodgawd.....
--
EA

> Hope This Helps!

Man = strap-on -- well, in Terrell's world, at any rate.
--
EA