Roman dodecahedron

Can anyone figure out what was it used for?

Boris

Reply to
Boris Mohar

Boris Mohar fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

It's not out of the realm of possibility that it was strictly decorative.

The Romans were well-versed in geometry, and may have simply delighted in the fact that 12 pentagons could be assembled into a roughly spherical shape.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Perhaps there were 12 sizes of roman coins and the holes were for sizing the coins.

Dave

Reply to
Dave__67

Much of Hero of Alexandria's book shows elaborate toys meant to extract money from the rich, an ancient Sharper Image catalog.

One is a trick cup that turns water into wine.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I would suggest: the Roman equivalent of a "Turner's Cube" :-)

's+c=ube%22

In slightly more modern times, plumbing apprentices once demonstrated making a 6-way junction by (mostly) hammer, starting from sheet lead. I've seen the result and they are very impressive. One even went as far as to put flanges with bolt holes on.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

First thing to cross my mind is a studded cage for making a ball with rope or leather/hide. Except the stone ones...? Tent pole intersections?

SW

Reply to
Sunworshipper

Doorstop and floor ballast.

Probably the metal ones were lost-wax cast. Would be fun trying to figure out a way to sand cast it.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Perhaps it was a calendar, like modern ones, and the leather or wood month / day panels that snap into the holes have rotted. The ball- ended feet would protect the one on the bottom. I couldn't tell if the faces have "Hodie" index pointers.

The holes are different sizes to guide illiterate barbarian assembler slaves who can't tell the month of Julius from that of Augustus.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Doorstop and floor ballast.

Probably the metal ones were lost-wax cast. Would be fun trying to figure out a way to sand cast it. =========================================

I wonder what the current value is for one of those objects... million$?

Reply to
Existential Angst

It's a Roman Magic 8-ball. ;-)

All the holes being different sizes suggests some significance there, albeit I can't imagine what.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

A penis measuring device?

Reply to
Existential Angst

It's the cosmic viewer from Sarah Palin's porch. She did a trade with Christine O'Donell for her cauldron.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Looks like one of the original pecker checkers. (darn, I can't find a pic of the joke box I have)

somewhat close

And don't forget to wear your flying pasties before going to the airport, girls.

-- Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills. -- Minna Thomas Antrim

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Sarah is more man than you'll ever be, and more woman than you'll ever hold.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Maybe...

But to me she represents everything that's wrong with politicians these days.

Pass...

Reply to
CaveLamb

Jesus, she's both? Where did she get THAT operation? Cambodia?

Reply to
Ed Huntress

The liberal media are hyping her up in hopes that she gets the Repubnocrat nomination, ensuring an Obama win.

I'm voting Ron Paul, thank you very much.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

If you can, get a lot of your friends to join you. It will be good for the country.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Rich Grise used to sign some of his posts as "Rich Grise, But Drunk." He doesn't bother with the "But Drunk" part anymore but I think he is anyway. ERS

Reply to
etpm

Ed, I'm going to tell your Momma on you!

Reply to
CaveLamb