Running Mills

Can someone direct me to a good book or webpage or something on basic machining practices. I'm thinking of some kind of "How To Use A Mill For Dummies".

Reply to
Relz

Thing is, dummies shouldn't be allowed within 10 feet of a mill.

Unless you aren't one, in which case I highly recommend taking a class at your local technical college.

Actual books I own and use (to varying degree) are:

"Machine Tool Practice" by Moltrecht (2 volume set) "Modern Metalworking" by Walker "Machine Tool Practices" by Kibbe et al "Machine Tool Operations" by Burghardt et al

I suggest you visit your local library. Read their books. It's a lot cheaper. After you read them take them back. If you find yourself checking them out more than a few times, only then buy the books. That way when you're done in your library you'll have what you want and want what you have, all with minimum expense.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

"Milling a Complete Course" by Harold Hall. It's a UK published book so Amazon.co.uk rather than .com will find it. This is one of a whole series of workshop practice books in the $7 - $12 range.

By the time you work through the book, you will have made:

T-Nuts Clamping bars An Angle Plate (you got to buy the raw casting) Parallels Boring Head Dividing Head Grinding Rest Various fixtures for the grinding rest.

The ISBN is 1-85486-232-4

If you think mills / lathes look cheap it's because you haven't doubled the number to include the tooling!

If you have no workshop experience, best to find a class.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

||Can someone direct me to a good book or webpage or something on basic ||machining practices. I'm thinking of some kind of "How To Use A Mill For ||Dummies".

there are a couple of manuals you can download. The one that comes to mind is the Army manual on maching tool operations. If you check the e-book binary newsgroups (alt.binaries.e-books.technical or something similar) you will see some good titles occionally, including the Big Book (whose title escapes me)

But what I've done is checked the local used bookstores for used textbooks. I found 2 copies of Machine Tool Practices, which is excellent. It's a fairly modern book and covers everything from hand files to shapers and everything in between, including mills & lathes. Large, hard-bound book, well illustrated. Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

I found this the other day,

Lots of good info.

Rod

Relz wrote:

Reply to
Rod Richeson

||Relz wrote: ||> Can someone direct me to a good book or webpage or something on basic ||> machining practices. I'm thinking of some kind of "How To Use A Mill For ||> Dummies".

I recently posted a link where you can download (free) intro videos for a college-level machining course. There was one video for lathe, one for milling machine. Highly recommended, about 20 minutes each. It was a month or so ago, if you want to search the archives.

Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B