Rusty Files & Grobet vs Nicholson?

I moved a few years ago, during a hot & humid summer. A fair amount of stuff got stored where it got exposed to humidity, and a number of tools that had been fine in my basement shop with a dehumidifier got some surface rust.

I have a couple dozen files that seem to be worse than other items. I suspect it's from handling the files with my corrosiove perspiration, leaving salt deposits which then were activated by the humidity. Instead of a little brown discoloration, I have red fuzzy areas.

The few files I've tried seem to cut OK, but it's hard to tell. I was wondering if they have likely been damaged, or possibly slightly sharpened, a la the acid sharpening technique that gets mentioned here occasionally. I have one file I use all the time on my lathe that definitely is a bit dull, and I plan on replacing it. I was wondering if I should replace some of the other while I'm at it.

I'm also curious to hear folks opinions on whether the factor of two increase in price for Grobet files over Nicholson is worth it.

Thanks!

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

I like donating my old files to a newbie. I beadblast mine with fine glassbeads and when their done their done.

It's amazing how a file works and truly astonishing in the hands of an expert. I'm still practicing. Most files I have last a copula years then they are recycled to someone less fortunate.

Reply to
Mike