Safe T-section chopping technique ?

I need to make a stock rack and was thinking of using T-section as the vertical supports. Say 2 x 2 x 1/4 or maybe slightly bigger in 1/4.

I have a 14" dry cut saw and was wondering if there are any slick tricks like capturing angle stock with a short piece of stout, square tube ?

I'll probably try that 1st but I'd love to know if anyone has comments on cutting this stuff safely and accurately before I order a bunch of steel.

Cheers,

Jeff Dantzler

Reply to
Jeff Dantzler

Why not just use square tube? I have built many stock racks with simple 2" x 2" x 1/8" tube for verticals and 1" x 2" x 0.062" tube for the stock supports. They can hold an immense amount of weight.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

--What he said; I've made racks from square tube; no prob. Easy to weld and no tight corners as you would get from T sections butting together causing weird intersections. --For cutting securely a hunk or two of hardwood to lock the piece in the vise is probably sufficient.

Reply to
steamer