saw blade w/ broke tooth still safe?

Hello everyone. I've using a mitre saw and non-ferrous cutting blade to cut some 1" 10 = series 80/20 for almost a year and it's been working great. Thanks to = excellent advice from this group!

Today I broke a tooth off of the saw blade. Just one. Is it still safe = to cut with it ? Or is that "hole" going to grab the metal I'm cutting = and raise hell ?

If you recommend replacing blade, what brand would you go with ? It's a =

10" Ryobi mitre saw. Last year I bought a Diablo Non-Ferrous metal = cutting blade at Home Depot that cost almost as much as the dang mitre = saw itself.

Thanks ! JCD

Reply to
Pogo

80/20 for almost a year and it's been working great. Thanks to excellent advice from this group!

with it ? Or is that "hole" going to grab the metal I'm cutting and raise hell ?

Ryobi mitre saw. Last year I bought a Diablo Non-Ferrous metal cutting blade at Home Depot that cost almost as much as the dang mitre saw itself.

Some of the window lickers at work usually manage to take off ALL the teeth on the cold saw. Same guys did the same trick on the bandsaw, too. They can walk, talk, and lead a life. I should be so lucky as to have something they do be dangerous enough to cause them pain!

Gentle even feed, and you can cut with just one tooth. Pound it into the work, and it does not matter so much whether it has all its teeth, it's gonna be messy.

Having had to use the blades left after the ministrations of the "gifted" in our shop, I can attest that they can be used without too much greif up to the point where about half the teeth are gone.

You can take consolation in that you have got a years use out of a blade, and you could well be coming due anyway.

Any of the other teeth chipped up? If the rest of the teeth are in decent shape, it should be fine.

Cheers Trevor Jones (wishing that aprentices could still be beaten when they deserve it!)

Reply to
Trevor Jones

80/20 for almost a year and it's been working great. Thanks to excellent advice from this group!

with it ? Or is that "hole" going to grab the metal I'm cutting and raise hell ?

The danger passed when that tooth whizzed past your ear. My non-ferrous blade is also missing a tooth (not just the carbide, the whole tooth) that came off when I was trimming a piece of Item extrusion and the offcut was just the right length to jam between the blade and chopsaw fence. As long as the blade isn't bent and you don't think other teeth are damaged, I wouldn't worry.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 23:45:07 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Pogo" quickly quoth:

80/20 for almost a year and it's been working great. Thanks to excellent advice from this group!

with it ? Or is that "hole" going to grab the metal I'm cutting and raise hell ?

Ryobi mitre saw. Last year I bought a Diablo Non-Ferrous metal cutting blade at Home Depot that cost almost as much as the dang mitre saw itself.

Myself, I hate unbalanced things spinning at thousands of RPM. I'd take the blade to a local saw sharpener and for about $10, he'd braze another tooth on and sharpen it for me.

For aluminum, I'd put any old carbide-tipped blade on there and go for it. But that's just me. I'd keep the metal dust out of the sawdust, too.

- Metaphors Be With You -

Reply to
Larry Jaques

80/20 for almost a year and it's been working great. Thanks to excellent advice from this group!

with it ? Or is that "hole" going to grab the metal I'm cutting and raise hell ?

Ryobi mitre saw. Last year I bought a Diablo Non-Ferrous metal cutting blade at Home Depot that cost almost as much as the dang mitre saw itself.

Or grab the pliers and remove the opposite tooth...

There's the right way, the wrong way, then there's the redneck way. Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

10 series 80/20 for almost a year and it's been working great. Thanks to = excellent advice from this group!

safe to cut with it ? Or is that "hole" going to grab the metal I'm = cutting and raise hell ?

It's a 10" Ryobi mitre saw. Last year I bought a Diablo Non-Ferrous = metal cutting blade at Home Depot that cost almost as much as the dang = mitre saw itself.

Thanks Trevor (and everyone else!). I laughed my a** off when I read the last line of your post !

Reply to
Pogo

10 series 80/20 for almost a year and it's been working great. Thanks to = excellent advice from this group!

safe to cut with it ? Or is that "hole" going to grab the metal I'm = cutting and raise hell ?

Yeah I had that same thought about where that little missle must have = gone. Years from now you might see me on one of those TV medical shows = where the "man complained about headaches ever since July 23,2007. = Discovered a saw tooth lodged behind his left ear for the last 10 years = ..."

Chills ...

Reply to
Pogo

80/20 for almost a year and it's been working great. Thanks to excellent advice from this group!

with it ? Or is that "hole" going to grab the metal I'm cutting and raise hell ?

Ryobi mitre saw. Last year I bought a Diablo Non-Ferrous metal cutting blade at Home Depot that cost almost as much as the dang mitre saw itself.

You should be fine cutting with just one tooth missing. We cut aluminum box extrusions and Bosch (like 80/20) extrusions all the time with an 80 tooth carbide tipped blade on a 10" delta miter saw. With the morons in our shop, usually the blades last about a year, at which point they're missing about half of their teeth, and we throw them away. The blades usually cost about $80-100

Reply to
woodworker88

There was a story in the paper here just the other day. Fellow felt something "protruding" out of his side. X-ray revealed a 6-inch knife blade. He'd gotten in a fight during Mardi Gras; (five months ago) although he noticed a cut, he thought nothing more of it at the time.

Reply to
Jedd Haas

80/20 for almost a year and it's been working great. Thanks to excellent advice from this group!

with it ? Or is that "hole" going to grab the metal I'm cutting and raise hell ?

Ryobi mitre saw. Last year I bought a Diablo Non-Ferrous metal cutting blade at Home Depot that cost almost as much as the dang mitre saw itself.

Hey JCD,

Funny you should ask.... I was talking to a guy Tuesday, and he asked if I ever noticed he had one "plastic" eye. No, says I. How did that happen? Carbide tip off a sawblade, says he. Didn't even feel it much when it happened, but the eye is gone.

So, take that for what it is worth.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

10 series 80/20 for almost a year and it's been working great. Thanks to = excellent advice from this group!

safe to cut with it ? Or is that "hole" going to grab the metal I'm = cutting and raise hell ?

a 10" Ryobi mitre saw. Last year I bought a Diablo Non-Ferrous metal = cutting blade at Home Depot that cost almost as much as the dang mitre = saw itself.

Point taken ! Yeow!

Reply to
Pogo