Sawzall blade weldability question

Greetings all,

O.K., it is actually a Morse brand reciprocating saw blade, but you get the idea. :) I have the need to weld,(TIG) said blade to a piece of 16 ga. CRS to form a serrated edge for gripping. It will only be a short piece, approx. 1 1/4" long, and curved. My question is, the blade contains Cobalt, 8%, will this give me any problems welding? I will probably use either Si/Bronze or SS filler, haven't made up my mind yet. I also figured I will have to cut the blade with a Spedecut rather than a bandsaw due to it being somewhat hardened.

Thanks in advance guys, if anyone cares I will report on my success/failure and any injuries that may occur.

Jim C Roberts

Reply to
Jim Roberts

Most good sawzall blades are Bi-Metal blades. The cobalt is in the teeth that are Electron Beam Welded to the spring steel body of the blade.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Silver "solder"?

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

You are correct, sir.

Hope the spring steel doesn't present a problem, I considered heating the blades to take out any tempering, but I probably won't have time. These pieces were supposed to go out this evening. I hate it, but that's what happens when they send us home for a week and a half.

Thank you Ernie for your answers to my question, Jim C Roberts

Reply to
Jim Roberts

Greetings all,

Well, I suppose all's well that ends well. I got the pieces of bladed welded on today. Ted was probably right about using the silver solder, the TIG was almost too hot even using Si/Br filler wire. I would not have thought those blades would have been so "soft". They were the same thickness as the CRS I was using. Oh well, got it done anyway.

Thanks again for all help, Jim C Roberts

Reply to
Jim Roberts