Hardinge miller cutting fluid

Anyone know what cutting fluid was recommended/used on the Hardinge millers? I have the factory coolant system.
Gary Repesh

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (GJRepesh) wrote in message
On 07 Jan 2004 23:43:28 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (GJRepesh) wrote:

Oil
Gunner
brought forth from the murky depths:

cutting, 30w non-detergent, 3-in-1, Marvel Mystery, Castrol GTX 20w40, 80w hypoid, castor, olive, or expeller-pressed organic canola?
--------------------------------------------------------------- Never put off 'til tomorrow | http://www.diversify.com what you can avoid altogether. | Dynamic Website Applications ---------------------------------------------------------------
On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 04:01:40 GMT, Larry Jaques

Anything thin enough for the coolant pump to suck up and spit out <G>
Hardinge recommends against using any water based cutting fluids in their manual machines. In fact, I understand it voids the warranty on new machines, according to the sticker on the headstock
Consider this..that Hardinge machines didnt use sealed bearings for the most part, depending on a bit of that oil to help keep things lubed, there was not much in the way of water based coolants in those days, and the machines were not designed to keep water out of the places it shouldnt go.
Gunner

OK. What cutting oil (non water soluable) have you used and will recommend. I want to buy a gallon probably from MSC to test.
Thanks again,
Gary Repesh
On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 15:48:58 +0000, GJRepesh wrote:

I just bought a Little Giant pump for my Hardinge miller. I hope this weekend to be able to install it and try it out. I'm going to try some experiments with ATF and TapMagic, probably starting with a 5:1 mix ratio. One of my considerations will be to get as little smoking as possible. I don't need the others in the house complaining about the smell.
When I have some results I'll post about them here.
--
"There cannot possibly be a god in heaven watching all of this calmly."
-- Revi Shankar

Mobile Omnicron is all I use.

Site Timeline

  • - the site's newest thread. Posted in