Hardinge Miller Spanner Wrench?

From what I've read, Hardinge millers came with a spanner wrench to tighten and loosen its drawbar(s). I'd like to make a wrench for my miller (right now I'm using a rubber strap wrench). I'm sure I could cobble something together but I'd like to try to copy the look of the original Hardinge wrench. Does anyone out there have a photo of one that they could put in the dropbox?

Thanks

Reply to
Artemia Salina

That's going to be tough. It's like sheet metal (fairly heavy) origami. I'll try to remember to take a picture of mine and post later today.

Mine has a crack at the business end. I've seen a few on e-bay, but they go high. Some guy has a different device he claims works on e-bay. I don't know if they work.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Peter T. Keillor III

Well, it's not a really good photo, but it's already there, in:

The wrench is hanging on the rear overarm fixing clamp, visible between the red airhose and the gray flexible light arm.

If somebody doesn't give a better link I could take some better shots of it.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

OK, they're in the dropbox.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Peter T. Keillor III

Thanks Pete,

I never would have thought that they were made of sheet metal.

Reply to
Artemia Salina

Excellent photos, indeed.

I take it you have not contacted Dave Sobel for one of those wrenches? I would not be suprised if he had a bucket of them tucked away someplace in his den of amazement.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

After seeing that they're made of sheet metal I'm not too impressed with them. Besides, why buy when I can make something that'll work just as well?

Speaking of which, have you considered making a rear tang sight for your rifle rather than spending $125 for one? I'd think it'd be an interesting project. Made from brass and blued steel it'd look pretty spiffy, too.

Reply to
Artemia Salina

Honestly the one I have works great. I'm not sure how long it would take me to replicate it, but I bet 'a long while' isn't too far off the mark.

Don't think I haven't thought of that. If I had one to measure and copy it would be a dead cinch, but I suspect that they're tolerably intricate. The parts that I've seen on ebay seem to have items in there that look like they're trying to set spring tension to eliminate backlash on some of the threads. I could imagine buying one, and then copying it for other guns. :)

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

I never would have thought that they were made of sheet metal.

Heat treated and precision ground sheet metal, too ;-)))

Reply to
Peter H.

Making them is NOT easy...but it is rewarding.

Gunner

Reply to
GunnerAsch

If you want a sample Reciver sight to copy for your Winchester, I have a new FP in the box I could send you to pattern. Its the proper one for your rifle. Might need a different height front sight though. About .125 higher IRRC

Gunner

Reply to
GunnerAsch