scrap prices

Went to the local scrap metal outlet today to check out the current inventory for a couple of projects and found that they were selling scrap steel at 93 cents a pound(min 20#). What are you paying? this is western NY

Reply to
jdabreeze

93 cents/pound for scrap? Surely, you jest! Are these guys wearing a mask and wielding a gun?

I used three large steel beams in the house I'm building. Paid 32 cents/pound for them, new.

This was about five years ago. I realize prices are up, but that's absurd.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Last I bought was 40 cents a pound, ten dollar minimum. This was up from 30 cents a pound, ten dollar minimum, which it had been for years. This is in Northern California.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Foster

Last Monday I bought some stainless steel sheet for $1 a pound, down from $1.50 a few months ago.

Catcon needs a new heat shield.

jw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I just came from the scrap yard and they were paying 6.5 cents per pound for chips on a 4800 lb. load. I could have probably swapped them even for some other metal that they had lying around. On good straight beams, rounds and structural steel, its going for about 35 cents/lb around here( North East PA). You can buy new steel for what they are charging you. MSC doesn't even charge that much. A steel supply company would probaly sell you drops or cutoffs for less than what you paid.

I don't know what you are looking for but we use a lot of 4140 and A36 and get a lot of one to four inch drops that go to the scrap yard. Id rather see them go to someone that can use them.

John

Reply to
john

One of the local small scrap places sells mild for $0.35/#, stainless for $0.75/#. The larger outfit (Schnitzer Steel) sells mild for IIRC $0.20/#.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Thanks everyone for the input. No I didnt buy I was just checking the current stock and prices. This place is not strickly scrap but surplus also

I liked it for the inventory of scrap and the fact that if it wasnt in the scrap area you could go to the warehouse and have them cut from prime stock for the same price (with no cut charge). I was personally shocked at the price and will look elsewhere.

Reply to
jdabreeze

Isn't it just amazing how your scrap isn't worth but a few cents to these bastards, but when you want to buy their scrap, it's gold-plated....

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Yep!

I'm not against anyone making a profit, but making a retirement from each and every sale is a bit extreme.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

$3.396/LB for 12" 1" x 1"

$3.02/LB for 6' 4" x 4"

Yikes. Most of the steak I eat doesn't cost that much.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

It does if you mail order it.

jw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

You're getting taken to the cleaners. I just bought a sheet of 5/16"

1008 plate from work at 30 cents a pound- that was last year's price, as it had been sitting in a corner for a year, but it would have been 45 cents a pound now, with certs. That's in Wisconsin, ordering new metal, not scrap, through Ryerson.

Dimensioned 1018 cold-rolled bar stock and angle iron goes for 60 cents a pound retail here, at the place I get it from.

Reply to
Prometheus