Scrap steel prices in the midwest US?

Does anybody have an idea of what scrap dealers in the Chicago area are paying for steel or cast iron?

I've got the remains of a small horizontal mill to dispose of and suspect that it will be worth more as scrap than as a project for someone else. Probably 400-700 lbs of metal.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Henry

Richard J Kinch

Thanks - those prices are apparently at the mill but I suppose that one could expect 10 cents a pound or so. As usual, i never remeber to think about this during the day time when I could just call a couple of local scrap yards and ask.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Henry

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 21:31:44 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Mike Henry" quickly quoth:

Yeah, not a whole lot, huh? But that makes buying scrap for projects that much easier.

Try mating a post-it note and your forehead, Mike. I keep legal pads + pens all over the house, in every single room. When I get an idea or need to remind myself to do something, I write it down. That scrap of paper goes to the brass spring-clip I have next to the front door. I can't walk out the door without seeing it. (And I'm only 52!) ;)

I've started a shopping list for the trip to Gunner's, too. I wonder if a full legal pad will be enough...

- In nature's infinite book of secrecy a little I can read. -Shakespeare ------

Website Application & Database Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yeah, but $60 is $60 even though that will only pay a fraction of what will take it's place. It might make more sense to just offer it free to who(m?)ever wants to haul it off, though.

There are a number of small pads sprinkled around with lists of consumables to buy or things to do but they seem to hide too well. Maybe emailing myself at work will help.

From the sounds of his inventory reports, just bring a large truck .

Mike

Reply to
Mike Henry