Screw extractor for brass 10x32 screw

I've already found out that a spiral screw extractor is not backing out a snapped-off brass 10x32 screw.

Would a straight screw extractor work/. Available sizes seem to start at .250 and up, while the 10x13 is roughly .156

Anyone make a straight screw extractor for #10 screws?

Reply to
Louis Ohland

If faced with this sort of problem, I'd use a circuit board drill (but really any drill will work if you get it started right where you want it, which is dead centered in the screw. Then drill with progressively larger drills until there is very little left of the screw except for the threads. At this point you may be able to back the screw out. If not, you may have to pick the threads apart, or just drive a tap in and crumble the remains of the screw.

You are lucky this is brass. But, I think the whole problem is brass is WAY too soft for a screw extractor to work. What it does is expand the screw, jamming it worse.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Left handed drill bit . Harbor Freight , around 6-7 bucks . BTDT , used one to drill out a corroded idle jet in a Kawasaki carb ... spun that sucker right out .

Reply to
Snag