Searching for threaded sleeve

Hi group, I am looking for threaded sleeve, with a round OD. Specifically I require .500 round OD, with 3/8 NC thread ID. I have looked at MSC, Small Parts INC, and a host of other places, and unless I have overlooked it, I have struck out. Thanks in advance for any help you can give, ron

Reply to
rbce2003

Ron, I _think_ I've seen some types of "lamp rod" threaded on the i.d. How long do you need these? I'm wondering if "joiner nuts" for all-thread might work.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Sounds like joiner nuts on a piece of all-thread, turned in a lathe to knock the corners off down to .500

Reply to
Rex B

If you have some flexibility on either OD or thread (.500 x

5/16-18, or .625 x 3/8-16), Misumi can help.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

thanks for the info so far, I should say that I am looking for 100 of these, so turning the OD on the hex nuts is not too attractive at that quantity. I have been drilling & threading cold rolled round bar, but that gets old quick, too. keep any ideas coming!

Reply to
rbce2003

Try this site.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Johnstone

That's easier than drilling and tapping from scratch!

I would say you could do a hundred of those in about 1/2 hour or less. Just run the nuts onto a piece of threaded rod, and turn ten of them at a shot.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Bruce - that is exactly what I am after, now to see if they have any north american outlets. Cheers!

Jim - I should have noted that the length of each unit is 1.5 inches, so a normal hex nut is not going to work out.

Reply to
rbce2003

Nobody but you is talking about a regular hex nut. We're talking about a COUPLER nut which is much longer. It's used for joining threaded rod sections. I've not followed this thread closely, but it seems to me you want 3/8-16, which coupler nuts are 1-3/4" long. See McMaster Carr part number 93350A100 for specs on grade

2 galvanized coupler nuts, then just go to Home Depot where they sell threaded rod, and right next to it will be a little rack where they have their coupler nuts. They're cheap. 1/2" ones are 99¢ so I'd expect 3/8" ones to be cheaper. Like Jim Rozen says, you can get a piece of allthread (threaded rod), center drill the ends, thread on a jam nut, one or more coupler nuts, and another jam nut, and turn the whole shebang between centers. I'm guessing you could turn them round in less than 30 seconds per part once you got the process dialed in. This has got to be your cheapest way to go. Actually, shortening the coupler nuts to 1-1/2" might take longer than turning them round. Fastest way would be if you can set a stop in your lathe spindle, and set them up in a 3-jaw and face them off in one whack.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin