Seeking advice on buying lathe parts

OK, maybe some of you guys remember my post, "looking for face and pinion gear for 1942 Reed Prentice 20 inch lathe". Well, I'm still looking! I got a message today from a guy in China saying he could supply the parts:

----------------------- Dear Sir, My name Mr. Johnny in Guangzhou China. I was going through the internet and I saw an advert placed by you that you want to purchase Lathe Parts, i want to inform you that we can get it for you in Cheap(all can of all Part ) and its in perfect good condition. Getting it to you will be the easiest thing, cos shipping to anywhere is pretty cheap in China. also the picture so as to proceed. Yours sincere. Mr Johnny Lee.

12TH Floor 34 xin jin sanyuali Bui yun District. Guangzhou China

Need Face gear and pinion gear for 1942 Reed Prentice 20 inch lathe

Do You Yahoo!? =E6=8D=87=E8=AA=A5=E8=BD=8E=E7=85=A4G=E8=9A=98=E7=9C=8A=E3=84=9C=E7=AC=A2= =E5=BC=8A=E8=8F=B4=E7=8F=A8=E6=A9=88=E6=8B=B8=E5=B6=BC=E5=83=B5=E8=9A=98=E7= =92=83=E7=8E=8A=E9=96=89

-------------------------

So, do I figure this is some sort of scam and ignore it completely? Or do I try corresponding with this guy? With all the scrap and ancient iron that we've sent off to China it doesn't seem too farfetched to me that they might actually have the parts???? ANY ADVICE????

Kirk

Reply to
1968fj40

To find out, ask him if he can also get parts for a non-existing machine. Like "Do you also have lead-screws for a Deckel lathe LP 900". :-)

I feel it is scam.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

================= Emails are free.

I would give it a try.

If he has or can get the parts then verification/shipping/payment is another issue.

Unka George (George McDuffee) ============================= When you give power to an executive you do not know who will be filling that position when the time of crisis comes.

Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961), U.S. author. "Notes on the Next War: A Serious Topical Letter," in Esquire (New York, Sept. 1935; repr. in By-Line Ernest Hemingway, ed. by William White, 1967).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Your insticts are telling you that this is a scam, trust your inner voice.

Wes S

Reply to
clutch

Very interesting...

I am placing a fake WTB ad, let's see if MR WILLIAMS responds...

Ignoramus20617

Ah, the mysterious ways of the East.

No, this scamming creep doesn't have anything*-- just ignore it.

?bad=1484

  • except an address (possibly in another city than Guangzhou) for the Western Union payment, in order to steal your money (see above links).

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Probably just "Another sharp cookie selling Girl Scouts."

Veer away fast...

But, it might be fun to ask him if he can email a photo of the parts to you...

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Dear Mister. I will photography pictres of (lathe parts) honestly please. I camera have is a little little old and have to go shop to make pictre. I have I to ask Mister for 40$ that will be reduced by purchase when parts arrive bye cheap shipping China.

Yours sincere Mr Johnny Lee

Reply to
Nick Müller

Thanks to all! I think steering clear is the course for me. Thanks especially to Spehro, the verbiage and even the address in China on your scam sample link matched my Mr. Johnny almost to the letter! I may be getting desperate for these parts, but not to the point of ending up as somebody else's sucker. Oh, and Nick, your sample letter about sending the pictures had me rolling on the floor.

Kirk

Reply to
1968fj40

DEAR SIRS

I PLEASURE MYSELF TO FURNISH DETAILING OF OUR TURDS. EACH TURD IS LABORED FROM THE HUND WHICH FEEDS ON FRESH ORGANIC TURKISH BEAN. TURDS ARE THEN SUN DRIED AND SPICED UNDERGONE VIA OUR ITALIAN PLANT. EACH TURD HONETSLY CARRY UL LISTING FOR YOUR SONS SAFETY AND ENJOYMENT. I URGENTLY AWAIT YOUR REPLY AND DIGEST YOUR ORDER WITH DILGENCE.

MR. JOHNNY LEE

Ignoramus20617 wrote:

Reply to
Johnny Lee

Do you take Western Union?

Ignoramus20617

WE ALWAYS TRANSACT UL CERTIFIED WESTERN UNION FOR MAXIMAL BUYER SAFETY AND TURD SATISFATION. I AWAIT YOUR QUICK REPLY.

MR. JOHNNY LEE

Ignoramus20617 wrote:

Reply to
Johnny Lee