Self centering scriber for metal marking bars

Here's a link to a neat little tool you can make. You just lay in on top of a bar, let's say 3/4" square, and draw it along the surface, holding the legs firmly against the sides of the stock. Even works on tapered stock. I saw it at a blacksmith conference several years ago and I give credit to the guy who showed it to us, Tal Harris.

Go to:

and click on the link "A Self Centering Scriber for stock up to about 2" wide".

If you make one, and the scriber isn't centered perfectly, just reverse it and scribe again. The center will be half way between the two lines you make.

Pete Stanaitis

Reply to
spaco

I think on tapered stock it will make a line a bit closer to the upper pivot side. Might not be a big error though...

Reply to
_

Nice design. I have seen similar, but with just pins to ride the outside of the bar being marked. This did not allow you to mark to the ends of the bar. The arms on this one get around that problem. I think I know what I am going to do Saturday morning.

CarlBoyd

Reply to
CarlBoyd

Yeah, me too - I've got a handful of small cap head shoulder screws lying around, might use them instead of pins. thanks Pete.

Reply to
Polyp

I could see making a second one with a drill bushing. Use a c-clamp to hold it in place and drill a pilot hole.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Make any old scriber, then send it to Washington DC. It'll come back as self-centered as you could ever wish for.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Dan

Several gizmos of that type already in the gunsmithing catalogs for drilling holes for sight beads on shotgun ribs. Very little new out there for shop kinks, just a lot that's been forgotten.

Stan

Reply to
stans4