scriber for a height gage?

Several years back I picked up a cheap vernier height gage. Probably just about like this Enco one:

Not too long ago, I knocked it off the bench and now one corner of the carbide-tipped chisel scriber is broken. Still works ok, but makes it a little harder to scribe a mark in one direction.

Does anyone know if it is possible to buy just a replacement scriber somewhere? Oh, it should also be for less money than a whole replacement gage to be helpful.

Reply to
xray

If there is enough carbide left, why wouldn't you just grind it?

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

Not carbide, but the import digital calipers at least have that shape in hardened steel, that you could cannibalize by snapping off.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Replacement scribers are available, although I don't know of a source. They install upside down, on the bottom of the scriber that is integral with the height gage. Starrett shipped their height gages with the extra scriber, to preserve the one that is built in. By mounting as described, the scribed line is in sync with the vernier scale. The only negative is you lose the ability to scribe lines below the thickness of the attached scriber, which is typically held in place by a restraint that goes around the attached scriber and the built in one, and held in place with a knurled thumbscrew. Didn't look at your link, so maybe you're already talking about such a scriber setup already, dunno.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos