Shaft extention update

Thanks, we are going to use a stock clamp-type shaft coupler. I'm ashamed I didn't know they exist. What ELSE is out there that I don't know about? Hmmm.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Well Tom, if you are anything like me - A LOT! LOL

Reply to
John R. Carroll

I went into my machine shop supply store and told Tim "We're going to be RICH! I explained my idea of a cutting fluid that was like shaving cream and would stick to the work. He walked over to a shelf and handed me a can of foaming cutting fluid and said "Like this?".

Reply to
Tom Gardner

What a cool idea.

I tell people to put a copy of a McMaster Carr catalog in their libary (that's Pittsburghese for library)

That's a cheap education in all things hardware.

Reply to
Jon

Agreed. Even if it's bathroom reading material, there are a lot of things in there that will surprise you as to being available, being available from one source and being either too cheap ot expensive to ignore.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Pillow blocks, cam followers, PEM nuts, Clecos, .......

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Oshkosh and the EAA clued me in on Clecos. Nice stuff when playing with sheet metal.

Wes

Wes

Wes:

I hope you learned about cleco pliers too!

Errol Groff

Reply to
Errol Groff

I was a little late to the question, but I was thinking about a couple of disks actuating micro switches or perhaps you could make two plastic disks that you could sandwich a piece of paper you print out on your computer and use optical sensors to actuate on two tracks of the disk.

The latter method could be real easy to make timing changes just by swapping out the paper disk, and would suffer no mechanical wear like a roller cam.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

You've been here, you know the dust level. Wouldn't opticals have a problem with so much spooge in the air? And, as much as I love high-tech, I love low-tech more!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

With the constant movement of the encoder disk through the sensor slot, probably not, but you could also put a sealed enclosure around them and use a stock shaft seal around the input shaft.

Reply to
Pete C.

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 22:27:53 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, "Roger Shoaf" quickly quoth:

Optical would be ideal, except that the lady in question has never won the Lesbian Good Housekeeping Seal. I imagine that technology wouldn't work for me, either. I know the shop floor is white, but I haven't actually seen any of it in ages.

-- Vidi, Vici, Veni ---

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Clecos come in all shapes too. Some have a wingnut on the end to pull heavier parts together, some have jaws that clamp the sheets from the edge. I have a toolbox full of them put away somewhere with all my other sheetmetal tools. The basic clecos were very inexpensive when I bought them US tool was one of the sellers.

John

Reply to
john

Proximity sensors seem to do a lot better job than microswitches since there are no moving parts to wear. Optical switchs are a little more problem since they have to be clean to operate properly.

John

Reply to
john

It looks like they are still quite reasonable.

Up North

Actually I have never visited your shop, but if I was going to be in the neighborhood I would love the fifty cent tour.

I suspect that keeping an optical encoder setup free of crud would not be too tough, but what ever way you build something so long as it works that is the important thing.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

I'm sorry Roger, I was thinking of another. I get two or three NG visitors a year, there's nothing I enjoy more!

Reply to
Tom Gardner