Shaft seal tightening question

Installing a new shaft seal on my Amana washing machine. See pictures belo w.

210

The original seal was a bear to remove. Used large water pump pliers and t ook all the brute strength I had to finally loosen and un-thread. Note tha t threads in plastic seal are approximately 1-1/8 inch diameter, right hand thread. I pretty much destroyed all of the plastic fins using the pliers. They don't seem to serve any purpose.

Note that the bottom of the seal has an annular rubber ring to seat against a metal base very much like an automotive oil filter.

Anyway, any ideas on how much to tighten this thing? The method of "touch down on seal and add an additional 1/2 etc. turn" does not work since the p lastic threads seem to be 'negative' fit and ergo you cannot thread on 'by feel'.

Any suggestions? SHMBO is anxious. She's been carrying laundry out to the shop for 2 weeks now, using the machine I use for dirty rags.

Thanks for all advice.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

FWIW, I get "You do not have permission to view this album" at that link, and don't see a relevant picture in your other albums.

Reply to
James Waldby

OK, requesting access to that album now...

They were stiffeners for the housing. OOPS!

My motto: When in doubt, snug her down good. For bolts, tighten it down until you hear it snap, then back it off 1/2 turn REAL FAST!

I'll bet she just loves that. Did she run extra bleach and soap through it the first couple times, then do your wash?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Best I can help with...

There are some very good online sources for this sort of information, from the parts dealers to YouTube

Reply to
Gunner Asch

34210

took all the brute strength I had to finally loosen and un-thread. Note t hat threads in plastic seal are approximately 1-1/8 inch diameter, right ha nd thread. I pretty much destroyed all of the plastic fins using the plier s. They don't seem to serve any purpose.

st a metal base very much like an automotive oil filter.

h down on seal and add an additional 1/2 etc. turn" does not work since the plastic threads seem to be 'negative' fit and ergo you cannot thread on 'b y feel'.

he shop for 2 weeks now, using the machine I use for dirty rags.

Here is a link that should work.

Ivan Vegvary