Use for unusual dies.

Going through all the stuff I've accumulated over the years and came across the following dies: 1/2-32, 1-32, 3/4-32. All adjustable with a split in t
he body and an adjusting screw. I seem to remember I found them in a castof f bin in the machine shop at the hangar at the airline I retired from. Did a google search for uses for such threads but not much help. Hoping someo ne here can enlighten me? Thanks for any help.
Garrett Fulton
On Sunday, January 6, 2019 at 5:59:53 PM UTC-8, Garrett Fulton wrote:

Like 40 threads per inch (which divides evenly, by 25, to meter out thousandths of an inch), it could be that the intent of these dies is to make a screw whose progress is a power-of-two inch fraction (one thirty-second per turn, one sixteenth per two turns, one-eighth in four turns). For sure, most fasteners with a one-inch shank wouldn't be convenient to snug up into a 32 pitch nut: you'd have to give the wrench dozens of turns.
I've also used 1/4-20 screws to make fine adjustments in thousandths of an inch: ten mils is one-fifth revolution, which is easy to eyeball/estimate.
Going through all the stuff I've accumulated over the years and came across the following dies: 1/2-32, 1-32, 3/4-32. All adjustable with a split in the body and an adjusting screw. I seem to remember I found them in a castoff bin in the machine shop at the hangar at the airline I retired from. Did a google search for uses for such threads but not much help. Hoping someone here can enlighten me? Thanks for any help.
Garrett Fulton =========================== Smaller 32 TPI threads appear in electronics, like 3/8"-32 F connectors and 1/4"-32 Alcoswitch mounting nuts. 5/16"-32 fits somewhat loosely on a tire valve stem.
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general-archive/32-tpi-series-threads-what-they-used-76454/
-jsw

    Given the source, I think that they may be for the motorized ballscrews or hydraulic actuators for flaps and the such. There is usually an adjustable end on these which screws to make the shortest length match the needed application. At the very end is a ball drilled through in a female ball ring to allow self-aligning. Usually a similar self-aligning bearing on the other end, too.
    32 TPI sounds like a good pitch for such things.

    Now to see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail