What is this 4 axis set up called?

Hey does anyone know what the correct name for this 4 axis set up is called and possibly who makes it?
<http://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/what-is-the-name-of-this-5-axis-positioning-tool/?action=dlattach ;attacha7821;image>

    It looks to me like a combination of a milling attachment for a lathe (the vertical part replaces the compound), and a 2-axis X-Y table missing the table top.
    Is it sure that the same company made both parts? The bottom (X-Y) part looks like something which Sears sold way back when.
    Note that the handwheel on the vertical leadscrew is different from those on the X and Y axes.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Looks like some kind of Rube Goldberg setup of some sort - - - I'm thinking at leeast 2 more or less unrelated tools fastened together.
On Sunday, January 13, 2019 at 11:01:39 PM UTC-5, Clare wrote:

Rube would have fun with that thing. <g> There is no way that combination of slides and clamps could stand up to a cut made with any kind of metalworking machine. It has looseness, flexing and backlash written all over it.
The top part looks like a larger version of the milling attachment on my South Bend 10L lathe, which is original equipment. In terms of relative sizes, though, the X-Y base is much larger that on the assembly in the photo.
--
Ed Huntress

It does look very South Bend-ish but the only details that match my Heavy 10 milling attachment are visible end of the upright slide base and the vise opening with square head clamping screws. The vise on mine is part of the slide casting and the tilting joint is on the back of the slide base.
The vertical leadscrew on mine ends in a round shaft above the same bushing. The unbalanced removeable handle crank engages a protruding dowel pin at about the height of the socket head screw on the right. -jsw
On Monday, January 14, 2019 at 7:45:09 AM UTC-5, Jim Wilkins wrote:

Yeah, that's the way mine works, too. It was part of the kit that came with the lathe: War Board, built for the Navy in 1945, and all surfaces on the milling attachment are machined.
But, if my failing memory serves, the milling attachments for larger SB lathes were more like the one in the photo.
--
Ed Huntress

http://shdesigns.org/Craftsman-12x36/mill1.jpg

Those are Atlases. They use the same castings and dovetail sizes on several different assemblies. Someone frankensteined a 10" lathe milling attachment to the top of an X-Y table that they removed the table from. They might have had to add a cross slide from the 10" into the mix. I don't remember if the X-Y table had a swivel.
Paul K. Dickman
On Monday, January 14, 2019 at 4:21:57 PM UTC-5, Paul K. Dickman wrote:

Aha. That must have been a common configuration. I see from Jim's link that it's like one on the Sears lathes that were built by Atlas.
--
Ed Huntress

On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 15:21:16 -0600, "Paul K. Dickman"

Like I said - a "Rube Goldberg" setup - - -

    [ ... ]

    The X-Y table which I had/"have somewhere" has a swivel. Loosen two Allen-head cap screws, and it rotates. I can't swear whether it is Atlas or not, as it was quite old when I got it.

    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail