Welding on the Mill

Ok, who does it. Who welds right on the machine?
When I was first learning to setup and run my first CNC mill (a Taig 2019) I
sometimes repaired a bad cut in aluminum right on the table by filling it in and then milling it flat. (DC spool gun) Often without shutting down the mill. I don't recall any immediate catastrophic failures, but I sometimes wonder if I was just lucky.
I have never done that on any of my other machines.
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
Ok, who does it. Who welds right on the machine?
When I was first learning to setup and run my first CNC mill (a Taig 2019) I sometimes repaired a bad cut in aluminum right on the table by filling it in and then milling it flat. (DC spool gun) Often without shutting down the mill. I don't recall any immediate catastrophic failures, but I sometimes wonder if I was just lucky.
I have never done that on any of my other machines.
I imagine that could be a little exciting with high frequency. LOL.
what matters is where your ground clamp is

    The question is where you connected the ground side of the welding cables. If the current goes through the slides and/or the bearings, there is a great liklihood of damage.
    However, if the ground side is connected to the table, or to the clamp-down bolts for the workpiece, no problems.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail