Sheet metal bending

Has anyone any good links to simple sheet metal bending and laying out practice on the web? Having now at last acquired my Gabro BF1000 it would be nice to be able to get the bends in the right places I'm hoping to be doing a few doors with a return bend edge - ie a channel section all round.

(The BF1000 is a manual 'hinge type' folder that can do box pan by cutting a length of angle to the internal box size rather than having interchangable fingers)

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

There is quite an excellent article on the New England Model Engineering Society web site.

Also available is an article by our member Dave Bono on the subject of metal bending.

Hope this of use.

Errol Groff

Instructor, Manufacturing Technology H.H. Ellis Technical High School

613 Upper Maple Street Danielson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Society

Errol Groff

There is a section on this in Machinery's handbook. Be prepared to spend a while figuring it all out. I think the articles in the older Machinery's Handbooks had better info that the more current ones. For instance: maybe the 12th or 17th edition is better than the 20 somethings edition. Always make a few test bends to verify that you have it right before laying out and bending an expensive panel.

Be somewhat careful if you look into some of the books on tinsmithing. I think they usually assume you are using very thin material and therefore don't spend a lot of time calculating the neutral planes in the bends.

Pete Stanaitis

--------------------

Andrew Maws> Has anyone any good links to simple sheet metal bending and laying out

Reply to
spaco

I'm

section

having

Errol & Pete,

Thanks for the links - much appreciated.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson