Shipbreaking in Illinois

I am eyeing this boat to buy and scrap.

It is an assault landing craft, guesstimated at 100 tons of displacement/weight.

[For a moment, I considered invading some country with my equipment and personnel, we have a real "candidate master of shooting sports" on staff, as well as a captain and driver, and some military vehicles, but then I gave up on the idea.]

So, back to scrapping. My idea was to buy this assault ship, find a marina to beach it, cut it up, extract the 12V-71 diesels for sale, hydraulic winch, and scrap the rest. I do not foresee any technical problems with cutting up this boat, assuming that it is safely on land.

My question is how much of an issue are marine or environmental regulations. I have never dealt with stuff like that and I do not want to get in over my head. Is that a situation that is tightly controlled, or kind of laid back like cutting up commercial trucks?

Ignoramus31152

There are some pretty strict laws about some stuff on the boat - the anti-fouling paint for example, or any old fashioned insulation that might be in it. The boat is 69 feet long by 21 feet wide and probably close to 6 feet in hull depth so it is not something you can cut up in a normal marina or yard that specializes in yacht work. If you go into a commercial yard they usually charge a cost for hauling the boat plus a daily charge and some yards limit the type of work that you can do your self, other work can be done by yard personnel of course.

I would suggest that you first talk to a ship yard to determine costs. Another point is the boat looks, in the photos, like it is in fairly good condition. It might be worth something as a boat.

Reply to
John B.

The coolant in the water in the hull is hazardous material and would have to be handled so as to not contaminate the waterway. Also look for lead paint and asbestos.

Has anyone else bought one of these boats? What did they do with it?

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

I wonder if someone might want to turn that into a houseboat. There are a lot of them in California, I do not know about the great lakes.

Reply to
anorton

You may make more money selling it to an oil company or harbor construction firm. Scrapping it may not be the best choice.

Then there is a rather large number of military collectors....

Might want to browse around a bit before lighting the torch.....

etc etc etc

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Sounds like a perfect item for the prepper market. Portable bunker, water tight, self propelled, complete electrical system with generator. Escape doomsday sailing the great lakes.

Priced to sell only $250K.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

But to what end?

I recently read "The Road". My wife is a disaster junkie (literature wise).

I'd call it an important piece, but not an easy read at all.

Haven't seen the movie. Don't want to, either.

I'd highly recommend it to anyone who has wondered what doomsday might be like...

Richard

Reply to
Richard

That LST would not be a very good Great Lakes craft in any sort of storm. Any wave action over 6 feet would likely be fatal on the Lakes...given the short distance between crests on those lakes

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

The yard charges can be substantial, due partially to the strict regulation of hazardous materials near the water. But perhaps the vessel is serviceable. A survey might be in order. The usual advertising medium:

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

I think it would depend on the type of doomsday SCENARIO someone anticipates. At best it would only be a temporary solution. You still have to resupply at some piont in time.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
Howard Beal

It would likely be a pretty expensive boat to run. I didn't notice what it had for generators but the main engines drink enough fuel to bankrupt the average man :-)

And, a steel hull boat takes an amazing amount of care if you want to re-sell the boat at some future time.

Reply to
John B.

By Jack Kerouac, or some other author?

And after a breakdown of civilization, wouldn't all those little pirate captains onshore go all 'Somalia' on a ship at sea, which obviously has plenty of supplies?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You have to be joking, it is a 100 ton boat

Reply to
Ignoramus11086

Chances are high that the person interested in doing something like that would allow it to reside in whatever body of water it is already floating, don't you think? But with an 80T capacity, building a house on top would be entirely possible. It's not entirely unlikely. Hell, people buy and retrofit ICBM missle silos into homes now.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

People buy and turn barges into houseboats. And they are often bigger.

etc etc etc

Gunner Asch

And they are used all the time to build into homes. Here are some floating homes for sail.

As far as the regulations, marine regs make the DOT look like great guys. LOT's of regs, plus there is very likely some haz-mat involved since the feds were not concerned about that stuff.

Reply to
Steve W.

I forsee a whole host of potential environmental and safety hazards if you have to scrap it while floating. Might be less to deal with if you can scrap it in dry dock.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

There are some awfully big houseboats out there. Here's one with a helicopter landing pad:

Again, I do not know if the weather on the great lakes is conducive to this sort of living.

Reply to
anorton

at 100 tons of displacement/weight. [For a moment, I considered invading so me country with my equipment and personnel, we have a real "candidate maste r of shooting sports" on staff, as well as a captain and driver, and some m ilitary vehicles, but then I gave up on the idea.] So, back to scrapping. M y idea was to buy this assault ship, find a marina to beach it, cut it up, extract the 12V-71 diesels for sale, hydraulic winch, and scrap the rest. I do not foresee any technical problems with cutting up this boat, assuming that it is safely on land. My question is how much of an issue are marine o r environmental regulations. I have never dealt with stuff like that and I do not want to get in over my head. Is that a situation that is tightly con trolled, or kind of laid back like cutting up commercial trucks? i

I would be extreamly carfull about the lead in the boat. I was stationed on a CG cutter in the late 70s. We used a ton of red lead primer. This bo at was built in 1974 so it going to be covered in it. You could get in tr ouble with the EPA just cutting it the paint with a torch.

Reply to
d32

Only silos the held the earliest missiles. Newer silos have to be filled in, as they are decommissioned. More BS from international treaties. :(

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell