Air or electric cylinder?

I'm designing a new generation machine that will need to push a 5/8" rod two inches with about 600 lbs of pressure. It also needs to be a bit "springy". The new machine is only about 5 cubic feet in volume and will replace current machines that are 4' x 5' x 6' in volume. The old machines use hydraulic power for the pin push. I want the entire machine to use 120VAC only. One option is a small pump and an air cylinder, another is a linear actuator with an in-line die spring or something I haven't thought of. The rest of the machine is most of the way there and rather clever...for me, anyway. What pitfalls can I expect with a linear actuator?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

You can push a threaded rod with a spring attached, using a DC motor and two micro switches to limit travel.

Ignoramus11086

Not sure what the control / timing requirements are. Would this be something best done with a continuously running motor, an electric clutch and a gear drive to a cam type setup?

Reply to
Pete C.

Ignoramus11086 fired this volley in news:-audnS2NkaUnczDMnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

A 2" stroke 3" cylinder produces that much (slightly more) force at 100psi. That seems the more reliable solution.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Plenty of time, 3 seconds to extend or retract. The rest of my staff is all for air, it just simplifies things and is cheaper. And, air can be used for clean-up and other things

Reply to
Tom Gardner

We like air more and more, screw the all electric goal. A small compressor just doesn't matter.

However, I sure will avoid hydraulics!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Yep, ant that would be a good option. I still will figure out how to get the required push but we;re leaning toward air. Thanks.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Tom Gardner fired this volley in news:c6- dndksGcuF8jPMnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Tom, Not only is air the simpler solution (although I use motorized positioners, too), but it's just as "springy" as you'd want.

One application I have requires that the pressing rod be able to retract _instantly_ under explosive force. There's nothing for it, but to use an air cylinder (with an especially long stroke, in my case) to ensure that nothing-but-nothing obstructs the travel of that rod if it must be ejected from the zone by the action of an accident inside the pressing area.

I.E.-- I might use a 6" stroke for a 2" travel, so that I can make sure there's not excessive force required to back the rod out of it's zone when required.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

What kind of ant? ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

One way Ive used to set a device to pull fast or slow..is to use an adjustable volume valve..and on a tee next to it attached to the same port...a solenoid valve that only opens under an emergency condition. The "trickle" valve will allow the rate of movement to be adjusted..there is also a certain amount of spring as the cylinder is being drawn..but if you get an emergency condition..that solenoid will open wide and bypass that adjustable "trickle valve" and allow full speed retraction.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Check out air brake actuators for HD trucks/trailers.

one place to start

F. George McDuffee

Cool!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

A dead one! Dead-ant, dead-ant, dead-annnnnt!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Yep, used them before for blister packing machines, I have a few in stock!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Quit panting, Pinkie!!! ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Hope it helps. I dont do a lot of pnuematics..but Ive done some here and there.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Sorry, my fav cartoon!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Too bad he died from inhaling all that fiberglass dust. :(

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" on Thu, 06 Jun 2013

21:48:29 -0400 typed >> >> >> >> >>>> Yep, ant that would be a good option.

Am I pondering what you're pondering? I think so, Brain ? but wouldn't a tenor make a better pirate because of the high Cs involved?*

(speaking of fiberglass dust - anyone else read the speculation on the cloud over Huntville Alabama. it wasn't visible to the eye, but made a big plume on radar. Some "fiberglass fibers" were found around the area.)

tschus pyotr

  • not a canonical "pondering" line, but the author at has some, interesting ones.

"Umm, I think so, Brain ? but wouldn't tube socks miniaturized for us use transistors?"

pyotr filipivich

UFD?

Unidentified Fiberglass Dust?

Reply to