Air or electric cylinder?

OUCH! BTW, that was a Pink Panther reference, not Pinkie and the Brain. (Gawd, how did those get produced?)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Gunner Asch on Thu, 06 Jun 2013 23:37:07 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

UAFF - Unidentified Aluminized Fiberglass Fibers.

pyotr filipivich

Larry Jaques on Fri, 07 Jun 2013

06:34:08 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Pink Panther reference? Oh - the penny drops. (Douh!)

What can I say, I had a misspent youth, spent out of the country.

pyotr filipivich

It would have to be, to be reflective on radar.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

That's a pair of quarters, at today's rate of inflation. :(

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Gunner Asch on Fri, 07 Jun 2013 11:23:25 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

At the very least, that is what They(tm) want us to think it was.

pyotr filipivich

"Michael A. Terrell" on Fri, 07 Jun 2013

18:37:44 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

And this afternoon - out of a clear blue ceiling - I got the "ant" reference/connection.

pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although more often, Age travels alone."

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Here you go, you poor soul. The original song:

And with cartoon to catch you up:

And The Fiberglass Connection:

Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques on Fri, 07 Jun 2013

20:48:48 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

I remember that

These were "late" in my development. Took quite a while for the connections to percolate up from the depths, especially seeing as how this is finals week.

pyotr filipivich

At least you figured it out. It's taken some people 'months' to get one of my puns. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Steven Spielberg was how those got produced, especially Animaniacs. He was aiming squarely at the College and Young Adult / Parents crowd, and the stuff for kids was deliberate but secondary.

That's why the "Well, Goodnight Folks!!" line was thrown in by Wakko after the more risque entendres, as if it was an old-fashioned Live Show and they expected the plug to be pulled the minute the jokes hit air and the Executives saw them.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable)

Air is fine, but it's not so good where you need positive control on the stroke of that push, so you don't have a Tool Crash when the follow-up operation tries to happen - unless it has enough brute force to clear a misshaped or mispositioned workpiece out of the way, and/or you put a limit switch to make sure it went far enough to do what you want.

And those truck brake units are handy things - and consider the Spring Brake ones. You have to apply pressure to release the parking brake springs, and then you apply air to the other half to get normal braking. But when it absolutely positively has to fail safe, the spring (and a dump valve of some sort) makes sure of it.

I notice you deliberately haven't said what this actuator is doing... Yeah, distributing 5,000 copies of the NDA and making sure they all got signed and returned would be a problem.

-->--