shooting for the new world's record "maxed-out truck overload"

got my new frontier (v6, not the 4) incidental images:

think the frontier's "rated" payload is in the 950 lb range somewhere. hell, my old mazda B2000 four-banger had a 1400 lb plus payload. LET'S GET REAL.

I had an old ford courier "way back when" (some decades ago) and i carried 2500 ls of cast iron machines back here (to florida) from minnesota with it ('course, I bought six-ply tires and some booster coil-over shocks while up there, though)

well, I'm at it again, *DEWDS*. 30 some-odd years later now. need to move this 1700 lb ugly-ash MONSTER of a bandsaw:

it only needs to travel six-tenths of mile from the warehouse its in now to *my* warehouse. thinkin' the seller will 'lay it over into' the rear of my truck (they got forklifts) then I can 'play hell' getting it back OUT of there the ol' fashioned way, back at my shop, using rollaway floor jacks, cribbing blocks up the ash, ramps, ropes, comealongs, "All the regular jolly offloading krap"

local rollback guy wants $120. WAY too stiff. paid less than HALF that for the saw. 'trying to keep it all relative' here' ya know?

*please* no insurance agents, or OSHA inspectors need participate in this discussion. thanks :-)

alternate idea: make "quick REAL crude" trailer for pulling with my truck: NO wheels, NO axle, no lights, just the bare frame 'on the ground', doesn't need to last long, or go far. 'could be quite exciting' to tow, all 'sparky-lit-up' like, especially at night. yeah, I'd have the steel 'up a tiny bit' in front, like ski-tips, for good towing ;-)

or, could just use a sheet of plywood, and a rope....with the saw on top. less sparks, less noise...."almost equally exciting" though

I'm wide open here for alternate ideas (except from safety inspectors, insurance agents, and OSHA guys)

*thanks* guys

dave

Reply to
dave

Looking back (to what you paid) is irrelevant, it's the "sunk cost fallacy". The only thing that matters is looking forward: is $120 worth the considerable savings in your time, effort, and risk of harm to you & machine, etc.?

I'm a great believer in self reliance & doing thing myself, but I think I know my limits. Moving 1700 lbs with what you have is beyond them.

YMMV & probably will, Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Have the guy with the forklift drive the thing the 0.6mi for you.

Reply to
Pete C.

Far more than $120 if the deputy happens by. As he or she surely will if you don't have a flawless, trouble-free quick trip from point A to point B, and might even if you do, following up on the scars on the road that lead from A to B. All it takes is one yutz with a cell phone driving by and they will be on your behind...

Are any of their forklifts registered, and/or does Florida allow them on-road with an orange triangle without need of being registered (ala farm equipment in some states?) Have them roll it on over.

You might see how much weight you can get off it with a wrench set - taking parts off and moving them separately.

Saving $120 and causing more than $120 damage to your new truck to get a $50 saw seems like poor economy. But obviously a sort of poor economy you'll have to experience first-hand to believe in, so go ahead and overload it till it breaks.

You could get very low-tech and cheap and probably (no guarantees - but you could ask them) back on the right side of the law and simply run it on rollers up the side of the road, without the truck. Might take a while, but you can move damn near anything that way. Removing the motor vehicle removes most of the ability to break motor vehicle laws.

Or you could rent, make or buy a trailer (with wheels, lights and a license plate) that can actually haul the load, and would also mean you didn't need to screw around with ramps to get stuff way up in your truckbed. Seems like you probably won't.

Not a safety inspector, insurance agent, or OSHA guy, but possessing a shred of common sense. That shred often saves me a good deal more than $120.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

What pray tell would said deputy cite you for when you are traveling the

0.6miles at the minimum legal speed in the right lane in a properly registered and insured vehicle? There are no legal weight rules for a non commercial vehicle, and the manufacturers weight rating has no legal standing on any vehicle, even commercial ones (registered weight rules there).
Reply to
Pete C.

The actual load capacity of the truck is usually limited by the heat disapating capacity of the tires or the heat characteristics of the wheel bearings. Neither is a factor in this case.

Most machines of this sort have some big chunks that you can easily take off to reduce the overall weight; the motor and the table alone should shave a couple hundred pounds. That gets the rest of it down to the "not too much overload" category. Especially for a slow speed, half mile journey.

But your ramp method of load> got my new frontier (v6, not the 4)

Reply to
RoyJ

Many (most?) states have a catch-all "driving to endanger" statute. For example, "A person commits a Class E crime if, with criminal negligence as defined in Title 17-A, that person drives a motor vehicle in any place in a manner that endangers the property of another or a person, including the operator or passenger in the motor vehicle being driven."

I'm not suggesting that the OP's scheme meets that definition -- I'd probably chance it myself as long as the saw can be loaded to keep enough weight on the front wheels to steer safely. But I wouldn't want to have make the argument to a judge.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

The OP is contemplating dragging a no-wheel, non-registered "quick REAL crude trailer" (sledge, more like) along the road, as quoted. Unlicensed vehicle, unregistered vehicle, lack of brake lights, likely something for damaging the road surface, the list of citations in that case is long. That is the case the comment I made is directed at - that's why that section of the original post is quoted directly above that comment.

I guess you read poorly. Or misunderstand deliberately. Whichever.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

happily, it's a non-issue now. the sellers delivered the thing this AM, with their forklift. six-tenths of a mile journey. I must've worn 'em down with my nuisance visits to take more photos of it. THANK GOODNESS. 'took bubba here a little while' to get it up on the hilman rollers though.

but it's indoors now, out of the weather, right where it can continue to receive no offers whatsoever "even lowball" :-/

thanks all you guys :-)

dave

curious individuals can see the thing in all it's glory at this location

and see the new shots of it at THIS fine location
I'll SWAP this thing too 'dewds' for items on my wants list, or, hey, for stuff of a similar nature

dave

Looking your list..I probably have 75% of your wish list...shrug

Where is it?

how much in cash do you want?

Gunner

Gunner Asch

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 18:24:42 -0800, the infamous Gunner Asch scrawled the following:

Gainsburger, Flowda.

-- When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. -- Thomas Paine

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Ouch..I dont know anyone going there, or coming from there..damnit

Gunner

Gunner Asch

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 23:21:51 -0800, the infamous Gunner Asch scrawled the following:

Yeah, bi-coastal sales are definitely the hardest to set up.

-- We have too many high sounding words, and too few actions that correspond with them. -- Abigail Adams, letter to John Adams, 1774

Reply to
Larry Jaques

My son, daughter in law and the 2 grand kids just moved to Gainsville.

But I suspect that when my ex comes out to visit them...it wont fit on the bus. Chuckle...they will be bringing a U-haul full of their stuff out 1st quarter of next year...but Im not sure about them bring it back this way.

Gunner

Gunner Asch