international sign for "craps shooting out the back of your truck"?

I was driving down the street the other day and came up to a cement mixer at a stop light. When the light turned green about 30 gallons of reddish cement-water and small rocks sluced out the back as the cement mixed sped up. Luckily no one was behind it when it happened. I started honking and waving my hands to try and let the driver know what was going on, but because the cement truck was higher than my car I couldn't really tell him anything, and he couldn't see my lame hand signals for "crap is shooting out the back of your truck". All that happened was he looked at me like I was crazy as he drove off.

So, my question is: is there some sort of international trucker signal for "you have a dangerous condition and your load could very well kill somone"? Is there something better to do than waving your arms and honking?

Reply to
jpolaski

Yeah its called using a CB.

I've done it before for guys with trailer lights out and such too

you identify the driver of the truck and the direction in such a way it has to be him then tell them whats up

Reply to
Brent

Sorry, but I didn't have a CB handy right then. I have a hand-held CB in my van, but it was in the back, out of reach. There weren't any phone numbers posted on the truck, either. There might have been a company logo on the side of the cab, but I couldn't get a good look at it.

I don't really expect there is a good answer to this, just that truck drivers should stop and investigate if people are honking and waving at them. But then again, I don't know everything and maybe there is "secret handshake" or "special honk" taught in trucker school that I don't know about.

Reply to
jpolaski

I'd go with the single raised middle finger. Always gets some sort of response for me ;)

Reply to
Rex

======= Several good responses, but if you have a cell phone dial 911 and report the driver/truck for an unsecured load, creating dangerous driving conditions etc. Include the location, direction of travel and tag numbers. Unka' George [George McDuffee] ============ Merchants have no country. The mere spot they stand on does not constitute so strong an attachment as that from which they draw their gains.

F. George McDuffee

A semi-well understood hand signal is to cross your arms at the wrists, in front of your face, forming an X shape with your fore arms. Usually with fists. It means STOP.

That might have worked. Hard to do without jumping out of your rig..

Reply to
Hank Zoeller

Many stop lighted intersections in my town have at least one turd of concrete somewhere close by. Most of the concrete trucks here are OshKosh with the chute out the front so it happens on the stopping motion WHERE THE DRIVER CAN WATCH IT HAPPEN!

Shawn

Reply to
Shawn

As some one that has driven a truck, it is kind of hard to see hand signs from some one in a car next to you.

I have been in my car and I have seen things that needed to be called to a drives attention and what I have done is to get in front of them, turn on my four way flashers, and then stick my left arm out of the window and point my finger to the shoulder.

I do not slow down, but if the truck attempts to pass, I travel into the left lane in front of him, again without slowing down and continue pointing to the shoulder. This usually will result in the driver pulling over.

If he does, I pull over in front of him and tell him what the problem is. Back door open, no tail lights, air line dangling, loose strap, etc.

That seems to work in most cases. Only one time it failed and I called the highway patrol, but that was for a serious fuel leak, on a towed piece of equipment.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

hate to tell you this, but the one time I called 911, the phone just rang and rang, no answer - so I called someone in my family to get them to look up the proper direct emergency number and make the call - so, don't expect help from 911

Reply to
William Noble

You also have to consider that many truckers may have a concern about being hijacked and are unlikely to stop for much of anything.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

I really doubt there is much of a black market for cement in a mixer.

Hijacking at a truck stop would be a lot easier.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Followed a truck for about 8 miles some years ago. One of the tyres on the rear axle of his trailer was partly flat and smoking. It was on a winding road, he was going at a pretty good lick and there weren't may good passing places.I flashed the lights, put on the hazard flashers etc. Whenever I tried to pass him he eased into the middle of the road so I couldn't (obviously thought I was a twat wanting to go faster).

Eventually, I gave up and turned off. There were flames coming from the tyre by this time and I didn't want to be too close behind him wen the tyre beside it went bang and he started running on the rims on the windy road.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Makes 911 your best bet, let the marked police car stop them. 911 is iffy sometimes on a cell phone.

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

Well, considering the responses, if there isn't a good way to get the driver to notice what's going on I'll call 911 next time.

Reply to
jpolaski