Shop Food Haute Cuisine

It's too cold today (-20C) to run across to the canteen to get something for morning break. So we split a banana lengthwise, sprinkled
some sugar on the surface and caramelized it with a propane torch. Yum! Went great with coffee.
Pete
--
Pete Snell
Department of Physics
Pete Snell wrote:

Sounds good but I don't think I can do it with a soldering iron...

Butane torches can be had from HF for as low as $4 or at the kitchen stores for $20-$80. http://www.harborfreight.com/micro-torch-42099.html
If you already make your own creme brulees, you'll have one.
I used mine to solder a terminal to a #6 wire the other day.
-- Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Larry Jaques wrote:

Ever seen that episode of Tool Time where the guy did a grilled cheese on his trowel with his torch? ("We recommend good Wisconsin cheese, because in Wisconsin, cheese is cheese!") Later, Tim Allen said on some talk show that when he bit into it on the show, it was REALLY REALLY hot! =:-O
Cheers! Rich

Use your hot air / shrink gun. Good for toasting waffles too.
What - keeping your waffles in the LN2 bottle and then toasting later ?!
Martin
On 1/17/2011 6:03 PM, Dennis wrote:

Martin Eastburn wrote:

Used to do similar things in the old paint shop. The powder ovens ran between 350-450 degrees for the most part. Conveyor trip was usually about 30 minutes. Made up a nice rack out of stainless with a cover on it. You could toss a large pizza on there, let it run through the oven and have lunch.
--
Steve W.

Steve W. wrote:

You sound like the same guy that used the vapor degreaser to clean his carburetors...
Jim Stewart wrote:

Yep, and blocks and heads... Ran a LOT of items through that shop over the years. It was one of the benefits of working there.
--
Steve W.

"Steve W." wrote in message

Yep, and blocks and heads... Ran a LOT of items through that shop over the years. It was one of the benefits of working there.
--
Steve W.

Reply:
Steve W. wrote:

My Dad used to tell stories about when he was teenager and got a job as a snout-bander[1] at the Hormel plant in Austin, MN. He said he and his buddies would swipe a ham off the output side of the smoker, and run it through again, and they'd share the twice-smoked ham. Apparently, it was fall-off-the-bone, melt-in-your-mouth tender. Yum!
(He didn't say anything about the ethics or morality of stealing a ham. ;-)
[1] Snout-bander: He would put big a rubber band around the pig snouts when they dipped them into the rosin that they then used to pull all the bristles off, kinda like a full-body bikini wax. =:-O It didn't hurt the pigs, though - they were already dead. (the band kept the rosin out of the inside of the pig.)
Cheers! Rich
Pete Snell wrote:

Mmm! Bananas flambe!
There's a "toaster oven" in the shop kitchen here, but it doesn't get hot enough fast enough to make actual toast - the bread comes out more like uncut croutons.
So I've taken to making toast with my propane torch. :-)
Cheers! Rich

In the workshop I used to work in, we did bratwurst hung from forks stuck in each end of the sauasage, connected up to a big old Variac. Takes ~90V and ~60secs to get it cooked just right. Cheap hotdogs from the can only need about 20-30V and ~30secs. Lots of smoke and sizzling there.
JB
JB wrote:

I'd have thought that there'd be some kind of chemical reaction between the brat (or weenie or pickle or whatever) and the metal of the forks.
How did they taste?
Thanks! Rich

Stainless steel forks and AC supply don't forget. No 'culinary' problems experienced in >10yrs.

Just fine!
Also remembered our 4k 'pie warmer'. We had a set of racks for thermal ageing of ballasts and also endurance testing of lamps. Typically 5 or 6x 35/70/150W metal halide lamps running in 36"x14"x14" closed sections of racking with welding glass viewing ports. Ambient temp was just about *perfect* for warming up/keeping warm our pies/pasties until break time. We could vary the duty cycle of the tests from the controller to maintain the preferred temp for 'culinary purposes'. The test fixture for the 1/1.5/2kW NIR lamps was also excellent for pizza, but unfortunately very risky. If you didn't keep careful watch, it was 'fire in the hole' time! The time difference between ready to eat and "holy shit! where's the extinguisher?!" was about >>>>this<<<< much.
Happy days....
JB

Pete!!! We have missed you and all the guys from K&B Construction since Tim shut down the show and moved.
I have cooked sausages on the forge in the past. They do tend to get charoaled a bit, and sometimes a bit crunchy if someoneknocks the forge hood