Spoolgunning aluminum

I haven't been on RCM for ages...glad to see it's still alive. I'm working on a project in aluminum angle and I've been having questionable results welding with a spoolmate 100. My welds seem like they're fairly solid, but they're consistently sooty. I'm cleaning the aluminum (6061), using pure argon, right gun angle, stickout, etc. If I wire brush the welds after I'm done they look fine. Any tips/tricks/suggestions?

Reply to
Nok

Ask on sci.engr.joining.welding?

I'm no weldor, and can't imagine what would cause a "sooty" appearance, unless there's some kind of contamination going on. Maybe increase your argon flow, just in case some air is intruding? Is your work area subject to breezes or anything? Could your base metal have some carbon in it?

Or, since you say, "If I wire brush the welds after I'm done they look fine," just keep doing that and don't tell anybody. >:->

Well, you _did_ ask for suggestions. ;-)

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

" snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com" I haven't been on RCM for ages...glad to see it's still alive. I'm

What wire are you using? The 5XXX I use for marine grade 5052 sure does seem to throw more black soot on the work piece then the 4XXX I use for

6061, but they both do it. Bet Ernie could tell you.
Reply to
Bob La Londe

"Nok @hotmail.com>" I haven't been on RCM for ages...glad to see it's still alive. I'm working

De-grease the whole thing with solvent first, then remove the oxide from around the joint with a stainless brush. Crank up the gas flow (20 - 30 CFH). Turn up the heat, don't weave, and "push" instead of "dragging" the weld.

Reply to
David Courtney

In addtion to this fine advice, Get a New Stainless brush, and NEVER EVER allow it to touch any steel, or any thing EXCEPT aluminum, Ever. Wrap a piece of aluminum foil around it for storage, and use it to brush the aluminum just before you weld it. Be careful where you set the brush down when using it.

De-grease the aluminum first, it must be VERY dry, and final brush with you special brush. Weld immediately.

You will have shiny welds.

Reply to
Cross-Slide

"Nok @hotmail.com>" I haven't been on RCM for ages...glad to see it's

If you're using 5xxx wire this is normal. It is more smoky than

4xxx series wire too. Again, normal. Carry on... phil k.
Reply to
Phil Kangas

I use to work at a place where they drew wire and they used oils on the wire on the production line. Of course they degreased everything that they made to get rid of the residue. Maybe some of the oil is deliberately left on as an oxide protectant. Have you tried wiping a length of the wire with a clean cloth and some solvent? Maybe if you replace the wipers on the Spoolmate, you will see if you pick up anything from the wire. Just a WAG.

Reply to
Denis G.