Shop Vac Air Lift Platform

Yup. Totally. The classical 'zero timer'.

That is a reasonable thing to do. Still, takes 'Balls of Titanium'. Watching the ground come up that quickly has to be upsetting. :)

Good things to know, no doubt. I'm still trying to comprehend the '11 different kinds of altitude'.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

[ ... ]

I know these as "inverted rotor" motors.

And -- interestingly enough -- they were used in the old Hunter ceiling fans. I'm not sure about the current ones, with the manufacture outsourced to China.

I've also seen one in a mil surplus 10.5" tape deck. It had windings for three speeds, not the usual two. Then it burnt out, and I had the fun of trying to learn enough to rewind it so it would work again. I did manage -- sort of. I think that I had less torque than it originally had. But the bearings were rather old by then, and I d id not (at that time) have the equipment needed to either make a new set of sintered bronze bearings nor to re-design it to run on ball bearings.

FWIW -- it was a cap-run motor, not a cap start one.

Indeed so.

Amen!

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

(...)

Hey Joe and DoN, Can you call these folks Monday and tell them to remove all 147 of these external rotor motor types from their catalog?

Also these guys need to know that their six products cannot be found:
There are only two types available from these guys, but still they need to know that they are invisible...
There are duplicates but the companies that provided these 38 listings need to know that they cannot be seen:

Thanks! :P

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 22:23:45 -0800, the infamous Winston scrawled the following:

Thanks, Winnie. And for those of you who wish to find those invisible listings, too, use my new, FREE Invisible Search Engine located here:

Enjoy!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Uncle. Even if not all came from the electric noodle factory.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

(...)

Well, the last 38 listings look pretty noodly to me.

:)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I'm building two just like that for a tube mitering machine!

Burden's Surplus Center has two dual shaft motors with suitable 5/16 shafts, one AC and one DC, and a cheap fan blade to fit. I plan to build a case "back around" each motor in two halves which rotate together, with a fan blade in each, and a stout bracket 'round the center to hold it it. Then, a sanding belt will go over that, and the other end will be various sized drums (1, 1-1/8, 1-1/4, ... 2) of aluminum or steel tubing held by those neat little 2 inch 3-jaw chuck sold at Harbor Freight. A couple of v-blocks later, I'll be happily mitering tubes from 1-2 inches for just about anything.

I originally wrote "tuber mitering machine" but who would miter...a potato? :) Doug

Reply to
The Dougster

The old arcade video game "Lunar Lander" did this. Best strategy was hold off firing the rocket until you'd fallen and it looked like it was a crash. There was a fuel gage, if I remember right. It was a great game, that one and Space Invaders, where you had to fire along the flanks to reduce the "step-forward" time by making the column thinner while the margins stayed the same.

Rotating stator. What would Einsein have said? Not an inertial reference frame, probably. Hawkings, though...he'd have something to say about it.

I read up before the OP and found the procedure for trimming quadrature to the applied field, but also to that field distorted by the rotor's presence *and* switched field. And I see none of that trimmability in my motor; it's running 50% or less of how it should. I'll keep at it.

Doug

Doug

Reply to
The Dougster

My complaint was about the "rotating stator" term, which is a built-in contradiction.

"External rotor" is a reasonable enough variation on "inverted rotor" so I would be willing to use these terms interchangably.

I won't bother downloading the others, on the assumption that they also deal with "External rotor", not "rotating stator". :-)

BTW I've also seen a similar design used for the 400 Hz 3-phase motors used in old interial navigation instruments for aircraft. I had no manuals for the ones which I had, so I don't know what the *official* term was used for them.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

(...)

Not for me, even in geologically active California. I didn't suffer so much as a scratch when crashing the Lander.

Shore! It's a classical example. If you witness a 400 ton boulder spinning at 1000 RPM clockwise, first make sure that your inertial reference frame *isn't* spinning at 1000 RPM counterclockwise.

It's all relative. (Rimshot)

(...)

Excellent.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

That was my first concern.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

(snip)

(snip)

I tried the Glyptal-like spray, first a wet coat onto a masked commutator (from a jigsaw motor) rotating in the lathe to resist runs, and a hair dryer to set it, and baked at about 150 deg F, then a lighter coat for pinholes, baked. It seems to work and files down nicely. I am probably smearing copper in between bars, so a bit of undercutting will be needed. I think this is the way to go with the Shop Vac motor.

Uh-oh. I forget to vent the nozzle after spraying. To Do List... just remembered it now.

Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without. That kind of thinking.

Doug

Reply to
The Dougster