SHould I return these?

If they are the brand labelled "Shop Lights"? I bought a bunch (14)of these from Home Depot. 100% failure of the ballast units in a very short time. Some didn't last long enough for me to put the ladder away. When I complained the source sent me a second set of 14. Guess what?? I now have completed the exchange of those ballast units also. This is for a lighting system that parallels another similar unit that was installed in 1973 and the ballasts in those units are original. Voltage checks show the same voltage being supplied to both sets.

Stu

Reply to
Stu Fields

I have 10 "shop lights" and still have the boxes for them. It turns out I will have to install a suspended ceilign in my garage. Should I/ Can I exchange these for the ones that fit flush and are designed for suspended ceilings?

Reply to
stryped

Consider maintenance in the future. Fixtures hung from short chains would be easier to maintain than flush mounted ones; particularly so should you have to replace a ballast, switch or etc. If yur suspended ceiling is standard height, why not just hang the shop lights 8" or so from the ceiling? I did that in my shop. Each set of 2 fixtures is equipped with a pull-chain switch.

Bob Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney

uld be easier to maintain

last, switch or etc. =A0If

ts 8" or so from the

with a pull-chain switch.

How do I hang these and make them look ok with a suspended ceiling?

Reply to
stryped

IMHO the only rule regarding light fixture selection: in a unheated garage in the winter, if you buy anything that doesn't have a ballast rated for low-temperature operation you're a fool.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

easier to maintain

switch or etc. If

or so from the

pull-chain switch.

How do I hang these and make them look ok with a suspended ceiling?

Reply to
Robert Swinney

How the ### would we know the policies of a store that's not even named?

I have a tool, will it do the job?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

easier to maintain

switch or etc. If

or so from the

pull-chain switch.

The fixtures over my lathes are hung on chains just high enough to clear my hair but with the option to lower them by 18". They are fed by cord sets plugged into a duplex receptacle fed by one of the two lighting circuits. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

ould be easier to maintain

llast, switch or etc. =A0If

hts 8" or so from the

with a pull-chain switch.

These were purchased at Lowes and plug into ceiling outlets and hang by chains. They are electronic ballasts good for cold temperatures.

Reply to
stryped

Have to? Why would you want a suspended ceiling in a garage?

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

Mine are the same or very similar. They are Home Depot's "el cheapos". They are hard-wired to a stub of Romex coming down through the dry-wall ceiling. They are in sets of 2 fixtures (4 bulbs) over each machine and over my desk. Each set of 2 has a pull-chain switch. When it became necessary to replace 1 of the switches - jerked out by getting caught in the folding garage door - I didn't take the fixture down to replace the switch. I just glued a new switch on the outside and wire-nutted it in.

easier to maintain

ballast, switch or etc. If

8" or so from the