Sign of damage seen in space station solar panel gear (Metal content)

Not just any lube can work there - temp and vac - that is tough. It might have had a TFE layer as a lube. That wouldn't hold back a leaver arm bearing down on it. Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.

Camilo Ramos wrote:

Martin H. Eastburn
They have vacuum-rated silicone greases and synthetic lubes, but don't ask me for specifics.
The thing that gets me is they're freaking out about "how could it get contaminated..." Who cares? It is, get over it. Wipe out the bearing with a towel, stuff the towel in a bag for later analysis.
When it's time to assemble the pivot that goes into that hole you squirt in a bit of grease and stuff it in.
-->--
Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman
aaah it doesn't seem to be that simple in zero G and high vacuum -
and you care why it's contaminated so you can avoid it in the future
Reply to
William Noble
--Considering how much stuff there is floating around in that particular orbit I'm wondering why it wasn't a sealed bearing to begin with...
Reply to
steamer
That just goes to show that they should have put in a lathe, milling machine and collection of metal stock as part of the design :-)
Mark Rand RTFM
Reply to
Mark Rand
Yes! My thoughts exactly.
However, a few details to solve come quickly to mind:
1. The cost of sending up big hunks of cast iron must be way high. Perhaps it should be a universal machine (f.e Bormilathe or Meyer-Burger) and in aluminium, a la Gingery?
2. Since the ISS is suppossed to be a lightweight structure, how to anchor the machines? BTW, it would be fun to see them trying to operate a shaper!
3. Obviously the machines should be wholly enclosed to keep in metal shards and coolant droplets. 4. Design concept: Hi-tech CNC maching center or good ole clunker South Bend, Myford, LeBlond (drop in your favorite) ... ;)
Regards,
Camilo Ramos
Reply to
Camilo Ramos
Read it again: "stuff the towel in a bag for later analysis." You take pictures and bring back the rag with the apparently contaminated grease and any other evidence with you.
There will be plenty of time for the Engineers to analyze and dissect what went on after they get back - they can tell from the shavings exactly what was rubbing, how and how badly. And they can come up with a fix before the next Shuttle trip up there.
-->--
Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Site Timeline