Silicone/urethane rubber help needed

I need to fabricate some rubber parts for a custom air intake system for an automotive application. The function of the rubber parts is to connect various pieces of steel tubing together with an air tight seal and still allow some flexing. The parts also need to be able to take a hose clamp without tearing. I'm thinking a shore A hardess of about 40 should be adequate. It's a non-production, hobbyist application. Temperatures will unlikely reach over 350F. The end result will be something similar to a coupler used for turbo/intercooler plumbing, but that's not my intended use. There are lots of sites out there that offer products for MAKING silicone/urethane molds, but very few talk about products for CASTING the product. Those that do, have not returned my e-mails. Maybe because I don't want to buy 55 gal. drums of their product. Can anyone offer some help on who might carry a product that will satisfy my requirments? Thanks for any ideas.

-Jim

Reply to
Jim

Vinyl plastisol might work. It's a liquid that you dip a heated (350F) metal mandrel into. The material forms on the mandrel until the mandrel cools or you pull it out of the stuff. Build of up to

1/8" isn't hard to achieve. If you want more build, use a mandrel with an internal heater to keep its temperature up. There's probably a limit to this, I haven't explored it.

You then bake it at 350-400 for half an hour or so and then strip it off the mandrel. Those football-shaped squeeze pounches for pocket change were made with it. I've made sparkplug boots with it. For a part of very convoluted shape, as a bellows with deep corrugations, you might need to make your mandrel so it can be disassembled for extraction, but the stuff does stretch some.

It's available in small qty from Industrial Arts Supply (IASCO) in Minneapolis. Its natural color is an insipid milky white like a condom, but IASCO has a few dyes including black and red. You mix the dye with the liquid before use.

You might not find the stuff on their website, but they have it.

Some of the two-part RTV's can handle up to 650F, but I don't know if they're tough enough for your application. Those are probably the mold-making materials you mentioned.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Take a large candle, or a big slab of wax, and carve out the mold. I've then had good results with using cheap acetoxy cure (smells like acetic acid) silicone, with added water+alkali, to cure rapidly (5 mins) Depending on what you make it with (bicarb of soda will give a foaming effect, finely divided chalk won't.)

Reply to
Ian Stirling

What a coincidence!

Check out my website at

I used 80 shore polyurethane and stretchable polyester fabric. The elbow is in my car now and sees 20 lb of boost. I got my polyurethane locally and polyester fabric at local fabric store. I believe the you can order polyurethane from

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Boris Mohar

has a decent set of how-to articles online that show how to make a mold and how to cast using the mold. They also sell rtv and polyurethanes but I don't know if they have any that go to 350F. I do know that when I called with a quick question they cheerfully passed me to a guy who knew the answer. I think you will want more like shore

70A for air filter plumbing, but that's just my guess.
sells a set of test pieces about 1" x 2" x 1/8" covering shore 40A to 70D (with some gaps) that is pretty cheap.

-- Regards, Carl Ijames carl.ijames at verizon.net

Reply to
Carl Ijames

Reply to
Karl Vorwerk

Yes.

Acetoxy cure silicone (the one that smells like vinegar when setting sets by absorbing moisture from the atmosphere, and losing acetic acid. If you add an alkali solution to the silicone, and mix it thouroughly (and rapidly, it begins to set quite fast) then this supplies the water, and removes the acetic acid.

If you use bicarbonate of soda as the alkali, then it reacts with the acetic acid to also produce CO2, which produces a limited foaming effect. If you use another alkali that does not contain a carbonate, then you generally don't get foaming.

IIRC. For a 300ml tube, it was about 5ml of saturated bicarbonate of soda solution.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Check out

. We use their stuff where I work.