Size of rod vs thickness of material

Awl--

Both butt and fillet welds:

16 ga (1/16"), 1/8", 1/4", over 1/4?

For 16 ga, I'll use 1/16 rod For 1/8 mat'l, 3/32 rod

1/4 mat'l: 1/8 rod Over 1/4: rarely weld this, but just use the heaviest I got, usually 1/8 or 5/32. Don't have the strongest machine, either (miller econotig), altho I did nice fillets on 3/8" to 1/2" plate.

Just ordinary rod, 6013, mebbe 7014. In my hunt for "decent" rod, I'd also like to get a useful assortment of sizes. Someone recently mentioned 5/64 rod.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Some of the hardware stores around here get a box in once in a while when ever the mood hits them. But the place that usually always has it in stock is walmart. They keep it in stock along with 1/16 rod for the little 50A/70A AC welders they sell. The little welder is designed to use 1/16 rod at 50A and 5/64 rod at 70A.

They want $7 for a half pound, but they have it.

Reply to
N9WOS

Don't get carried away thinking size of rod matches thickness of parent metal. There are other factors such as the type of rod. The other consideration is the speed and motion of the rod. Years ago I was welding for a whole shift using E 7014 electrode 5/32 diameter and way over 200 amps. We were joining sixteen gauge to six inch angle iron. Dragging fast with E 6013 is very good on lighter material as long as you keep your speed of travel up. E 6011 is good on light material if you master a whipping motion to move out of an overheating puddle. The main rule about welding is that someone somewhere will break the rules and put in good welds.

Randy

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message news:sgD5i.14$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe12.lga...

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman